Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Use MalwareBytes solely?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Alleyoop

Alleyoop

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:11 PM

Greetings All,
I have recently had to clear rogue spyware problems on two friends computers. It was not difficult using the information provided on BleepingComputer. In both cases the recommended program, Malwarebytes did the job nicely.
This raises for me the following 2 questions:
What is MalwareBytes doing differently than the other big names like AVG or Norton, etc. that allows it to effectively find and remove these serious problems?
Why would I even consider anything other than MalwareBytes since it seems to be doing such a great job?
Thanx in advance,
Alleyoop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oneblackened

oneblackened

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:31 PM

No, because MBAM is not an antivirus. An antivirus is your most important piece of security software, period.

MBAM has a very good ability to detect trojans and some rootkits. HOWEVER, it does not detect viruses.

#3 Alleyoop

Alleyoop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:57 PM

Many Thanx, oneblackened
I hope to eventually understand all of the different categories of malware. I am still left wondering if AVG or other anti-virus programs couldn't include what Malwarebytes is accomplishing. If not, do you think that running an anti-virus program as well as Malwarebytes might be an effective deterent? Not sure but I think the paid version of MalwareBytes will run in real time. Also, does the Windows Live Onecare Safety Scanner perform the same task as MalwareBytes?
Alleyoop

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:58 PM

See here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1082894
Specifically posts 17, 18 and 19.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Heafy

Heafy

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:35 PM

NO, you cannot use it solely, download Avira Antivir with it if you must anything, or Avast! just get that machine protected!
NOD32, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro, Spyware Blaster, Super Anti-Spyware. Windows Vista 2gb of RAM, 222 hard drive, Dell Inspirion 530.

#6 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:43 PM

AVs in need of Malwarebytes just does not deliver that is all. Malwarebytes perhaps have an easier job since they target specific areas but all AV/Suites will claim to cover the same. Dont think they do anything differently except working a market left alone by those big companies you mention. Your experience is not new. Also they dont cover everything even within that area, focus is on new discoveries, what is most likely to be relevant in 2009. So program is fast, reliable which with regards to removal is nice! and result in recommendations all over internet :thumbsup: Btw, try compare WOT with Norton/AVG/Mcafees "web protection" same relationship between old companies and not so old.

What I wanted to say is that since MBAM is on-demand only you could set it up in Task Scheduler to run once a day or whatever. Try this

@echo off
start /WAIT mbam.exe /runupdate
start mbam.exe /minimized /quickscanterminate
exit

Put file in mbam folder as mbam.bat, any name will do. Ive used that on some family computers since 1.34. Think it still works, Ive not heard of problems. Since then errorlevels are added so someone have probably made more intelligent batchfile. If you find one throw a link. But not really needed since it only pops up if infection is found - or program itself must be updated. Otherwise invisible. So since mbam has few false positives you can set this up on computers used by not so interested people, like your friends probably. Should be no risk of messing things up - use options in Task Scheduler, idle period for example. Still on-demand but the sooner infection is detected the better, alternative is probably no mbam-scanning at all. If lucky scheduled scan could prevent someone from proceeding further in a scam, like sending money.

Edited by Bambo, 17 August 2009 - 09:43 PM.

#7 Alleyoop

Alleyoop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:24 PM

Thanx once again Bambo, Animal and all of you for the good advice/suggestions. This was my first post in BleepingComputer and I am certainly impressed with the response. I hope at some time that I can offer up assistance as well as be the reipient.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users