Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone else having Internet Problems?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:49 PM

Most of the day today I have experienced not being able to connect to many sites.
Even a problem at times with BC.
Switched to Open DNS---still unable to surf the net without problems.
Tried Ubuntu and had problems connecting for Updates. Eventually got through but
same with other sites.

Anyone heard anything about what the problem might be? I'm in West Tennessee.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:05 PM

Earlier today I had a problem with a site, but all seems normal to me now.

I've learned not to assume the problem is at my end when dealing with such problems on the Net initially.

In the past I've spent a lot of time trying to diagnose a problem that suddenly "went away" and I later discovered was not a local to my PC difficulty.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:25 PM

A nice tool to use when in doubt is: http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 04:27 PM

JohnWho--Finally, we agree on something! (even a blind squirrel can find a nut every now and then :thumbsup: )

Animal---Nice---Just one thought, though. What if that is one site that I couldn't get to?? I did use it. Works.

About 30 minutes ago I flushed DNS and did the Winsock thing. Went to Animal's site and every site I tested said
it was me. Checked the same sites that I have in bookmarks and all are working just fine. Maybe the DNS Flush and
Winsock thing did the trick or it was just a coincidence.

If the flushing is what fixed the problem, what would explain the same problem in Ubuntu? Scratching my head
on that one.

Main thing though, it's all good.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:29 PM

JohnWho--Finally, we agree on something! (even a blind squirrel can find a nut every now and then :flowers: )

Enjoy the nuts while you can still access the Net.

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users