Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer freezes and screen shows pixels

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shortyman

shortyman

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:23 PM

hey, i was playing an online game 2 or 3 days ago and the screen started freezing and showing pixels... i didnt think much of it as there was a really bad storm that night so i thought i was losing internet connection.. i restarted the computer and it worked ok for a few days until today when it froze up again. i restarted the computer and on the startup the screen was acting weird again.. i snapped a few pics with my cameraphone:

Posted Image

i thought maybe it was the screen so i plugged the monitor into my laptop to see if it was that. the monitor works fine with my laptop. what could be causing this? could it be a bad graphics card?

my specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3.0 Ghz dual core processor
ASUS motherboard
ASUS EN7600GS video card
Samsung 400 GB harddrive
4 GB ram

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:05 PM

Possible driver corruption
I'd start with reloading the video driver
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 shortyman

shortyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:47 PM

yeah i reloaded the video driver and it is still happening. any other ideas what it may be?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:17 PM

When's the last time you cleaned the inside of your computer? Especially the CPU heatsink and video card fan.

Edited by garmanma, 17 August 2009 - 08:18 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 shortyman

shortyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:41 AM

its been a while i kinda slacked on that.. overheating maybe?

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:46 PM

It's a possibility
Mark
Posted Image

#7 shortyman

shortyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:17 PM

ok i cleaned everything out real good and tried again.. still messed up.. i forgot to mention that now it wont even go to the login screen... it was happening before i cleaned it out too... it gets to the xp startup screen then the screen goes black and nothing happens after that...

#8 shortyman

shortyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:30 PM

bump.... ok so i rolled back my drivers and started my comp in safe mode using the default drivers and downloaded new ones.. still is not working correctly.. here is another screenshot of what it does:

Posted Image

it works ok until i get into the game and the screen freezes for like 10 seconds and looks like that then it goes back to normal.... any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users