Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

keyboard stopped working. Can't figure out why.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Number_6

Number_6

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:15 PM

On my Dell Dimension 4300 XP-SP2: I hope someone can help me solve a problem I'm having--not being able to use a particular model of keyboard which I know is in good working order.

I had been using an IBM Model M ("clicky") keyboard, and one day after I re-booted in the middle of the day, I got a continuous tone that you get if there's a key stuck or other keyboard problem. I've tried a few different Model M keyboards, which I know to be good (because they work on other computers) and none of the Model M's now work on the XP.

I did not consciously make any changes to any system software, and I'm very careful about virii and so on and I've never had any kind of malware on my machine.

Using My computer | System | Drivers I checked the drivers shown. They are as follows:

mmkeybd.exe [highlighted in the list]
nhksrv.exe
i8042prt.sys
kbdclass.sys
msikbd2k.sys

Can anyone suggest either (a) a reason for this problem, or (b) how to debug it? Tnx.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:04 AM

Remove all old drivers, try fresh ones (not necessarily updated drivers).

Drivers could be damaged.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users