Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

recover hard drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 matty9376

matty9376

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:24 PM

Hi everyone my sister in law's computer packed up and she thinks its down to the hard drive so she asked me to take it out for her and check it on mine. Im a complete novice when it comes to computers and the little i do know is just wot i've taught meself so here goes lol. I've took the side off my computer and ide cable (think its called that lol) that goes to my hard drive has another connection on it for another hard drive im guessin and the is some more power leads to plug into another hard drive so is it just straight forward plug and play to see if her hard drive will show up on my computer or do i have to go into my bios to set up the settings for the second hard drive. thanks :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:56 PM

You have it right :thumbsup:. just connect the drive to the motherboard and the power supply.

If you can read/access the drive...I suggest that the first thing you do is a series of scans for malware.

While the drive is attached, I suggest that you run a diagnostic on the drive, following the instructions for usage of such...available at the website of the respective hard drive manufacturer. Run the long/extended test.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

You may have to change the jumper setting, http://www.pcguide.com/byop/byop_SettingHardDriveJumpers.htm

Edited by hamluis, 17 August 2009 - 01:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users