Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i'm lost. tsc definitely, but nothing i've tried works. maybe more problems?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tnscott

tnscott

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:30 AM

here's whats happening... i definitely have the total security problem, but maybe more?

i've downloaded the process explorer and killed all suspicious processes (none of them were under tsc.exe they were under number sequences). after killing those, malwarebytes is able to run again, but the program ALWAYS closes after exactly 3 seconds.
i've tried re-installing, i've tried renaming, i've tried safe mode, i've tried hjt, ive tried combofix, nothing works.
i found a thread on here that suggested renaming malwarebytes' mbam.exe to winlogon.exe... i did that and it still closed after 3 seconds.
the real problem with that is, the only thing i could run process explorer under was winlogon.exe, but after i tried to run malwarebytes as winlogon.exe its like something locked it up and i can't delete that file. it doesnt delete at uninstall and it won't allow me to manually delete it. so i now, as far as i know, i can't run process explorer if i need to because there's already a winlogon.exe. :)

other problems symptoms..
1. i can boot in safe mode under the regular user name for my computer, but not the administrator. it just freezes up.
2. i can only boot regularly like 65% of the time. sometimes it will go to load windows and get to the welcome screen then just stop.

running windows xp sp2

if ANYONE can help, it would be greatly appreciated :thumbup2:

Edited by tnscott, 17 August 2009 - 11:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 harrythook

harrythook

• Security Colleague
  • 4,152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:01 PM

Lets see if we can get some information out of that machine:

We need to create an OTL Report
  • Please download OTL from one of the following mirrors:
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Two reports will open, copy and paste them in a reply here:
    • OTListIt.txt <-- Will be opened
    • Extra.txt <-- Will be minimized
See if that will run.

Veni Vidi Vici
THE FIGHT AGAINST MALWARE

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 tnscott

tnscott
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:09 PM

OTL downloaded fine and i was able to start it up, i thought it was done scanning but instead of opening up reports, it just closed. now it wont even make it through a full scan without closing.

i did get process explorer to run by renaming it xxx.exe..... would it maybe help if i attatched a screen shot of that so you can see what processes are going on?

#4 harrythook

harrythook

• Security Colleague
  • 4,152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:52 PM

A screen shot will help.
Also search for OTL.txt, it should be located either on your desktop or wherever you saved OTL to.

Harry

Veni Vidi Vici
THE FIGHT AGAINST MALWARE

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users