Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP and Outlook Express .wab files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 WendellK

WendellK

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 17 July 2005 - 06:23 PM

:thumbsup: Oh where, oh where did my address book go? Oh where oh where could it be?

OK, seriously, I'm wondering what the heck happened to the .wab (windows address book file) that Outlook Express 6.0 is supposed to be able to import after upgrading to XP.

Did a search and found the file, but when double-clicking as MS instructs, the file appears empty and my sister has hundreds of email addresses.... who wants to re-enter hundreds of addresses? Not me...

So, we successfully imported all emails from a backup, but she didn't backup her addresses, so are they gone? Where did they go? What can we do?

Your help and expertise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everybody!
:flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 17 July 2005 - 07:51 PM

Hi have looked up where outlook express keeps a backup of addresses this is where you should find them.
The location of your .wab and .wa- files is recorded in the registry key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\WAB\WA4B\Wab File Name. If for any reason you need to move the file, be sure to update this registry key. Overwise Address Book will simply create a new file in the default location.

Try that if no luck have a whole 8 pages to try and find them. :thumbsup:
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 WendellK

WendellK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 17 July 2005 - 08:47 PM

Don,
Thank you so much for your quick reply! Question regarding your post.... she upgraded to XP so it overwrites the registry key in the upgrade process doesn't it? Is the data anywhere on her HD now? She's so excited about the possibility of retrieving all her addresses, but is doubtful about recovering files after the conversion process.

I am hopeful there is SOMETHING that can be done, but skeptical.

Thank you so much for the suggestion, we will definitely try looking in the registry key.

Your help is much appreciated and more suggestions are definitely welcomed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users