Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Memory Leak following new XP Installation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 petes1980

petes1980

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:28 AM

Hi

We had a computer that got killed by a virus which destoyed the windows installation. I formatted the harddrive and re-installed a fresh copy of XP Professional. As it was not a copy provided with the computer, i then had to install all the drivers for the laptop (Acer Aspire 9410) and everything seemed to be working fine. However one problem keeps occuring which i can't find how to fix it. After about 6 hours the computer will not connect through the network with error messages saying insufficient memory. A reboot of the computer will fix this, although just closing programs will not. Then today it went one step further when I couldn't open the task manager or run any programs because of no memory resources available.

The steps i have taken so far are:

Run Spyware Doctor (free version supplied with Google Pack)
Run AVG (free version)
Run CCleaner and cleaned files and registry

I have installed Hijack This and i can post a report if you need.

Your help with this would be appreciated as I use this computer a lot and need to get this fixed.

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petes1980

petes1980
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:06 AM

Anyone got any ideas? should i post a Hijack This log? (to the correct Hijack This forum section)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:11 AM

<<I formatted the harddrive and re-installed a fresh copy of XP Professional. As it was not a copy provided with the computer, i then had to install all the drivers for the laptop (Acer Aspire 9410) and everything seemed to be working fine.>>

Where did this copy of XP Pro come from? Was XP originally installed on this system?

http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/as_9410.html

Louis

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:05 AM

What is the current Windows Service Pack?

Is "insufficient memory" the only words in the message you see?

Does "connect through the network" mean Internet browsing? What browser?

Does the rest of the system seem to work okay when it is broken?

Is rebooting the only option? How do you reboot? Power, Start button, etc.

Are there any clues in the Event Logs when the system fails?

Anything striking or curious in Task Manager by percentage of CPU and Mem Usage columns?

Since you had some infection, here are some other reputable free scanners. At least run MBAM.

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 petes1980

petes1980
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:15 AM

OK, more info for you, sorry for the late reply, i have been on holiday.

I have run malwarebytes and it was clean.

The setup we have here is a network of computers that access files on a central server. This laptop accesses the network and the Internet through a Netgear router. After about 6 hours of use, the laptop will no longer be able to access the files on the server. If you try and navigate through the folders on the central server, the following messabe will appear:

{network location} is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this resource. Contact the administrator of this server to see if you have access permission.

Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

If i close the explorer window, then double click the shortcut icon on the desktop to access the server files again, i get the following message:

The drive or network connection that the shortcut '{shortcut}' refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available, and then try again.

The computer will still access the internet. If you leave the computer running for say another hour, you will then not be able to start any new programs or access control panel.

I have checked the task manager and i cannot see anything using excessive memory. Even closing Firefox that is using the most memory does not solve the problem. The only current way to get full functionality out of the computer is to restart it. I do this in the normal way by going through the start menu.

The computer used to have XP Home edition installed before it got corrupted. However we did not have any XP Home discs (i know, we should have kept them in a safe place) so the only way to get it back on track was to reinstall it. I found a good priced copy of XP Professional on Amazon that could be used on 'All computers' (apparently) so i purchased it and installed it. The install went perfectly fine, i then downloaded the appropriate drivers for the machine of the Acer website and installed them. That also went fine. The XP Professional copy updated itself many times and validated itself as a genuine copy of XP. The service pack is now at 3 and all the updates to date are installed.

Its really annoying as its the only computer out of 10 on the network that does this and it never used to do it before.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:49 PM

I guess that the key question at this point is...how much memory is installed?

I don't have an answer, I find lots of speculation on the Web but nothing definitive.

Take a look at http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/forums/wi...erv-254559.html.

The responses by Messrs. Dyer and Slattery are probably what I would proceed on.

Louis

#7 petes1980

petes1980
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 06:18 AM

Thanks Hamluis, i have checked that thread but the microsoft update they suggest is for XP service pack 2 users, when trying to install it i get a message that my service pack version is higher than the update and therefore does not need to be installed. Also that update is to do with the computer hibernating, my computer brings up the errors after normal use, not going into hibernation.

In answer to how much memory is installed, it has 1GB Ram. This should be more than enough to cover the system requirements which is just to access the internet (usually through Firefox) and also use programs such as Open Office.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:38 AM

As I said...I don't have an answer, maybe someone else here does...wait for additional inputs.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users