Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor and video card questions. looking to upgrade. *with pics*

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 orangeflava

orangeflava

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:20 AM

i want to upgrade my video card and in the properties menu i see that it says i have:

NVIDIA Geforce 7300 LE
Integrated RAMDAC
512 MB
Geforce 7300 LE
Version 5.72.22.41.31

Here are some pics i took of the inside of my PC:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So first off what type of slots do i have? my current video card is attached via pci express, correct? is the white one underneath just PCI? what about the little black one? is it possible to add a second video card to an open slot or should i replace my current card with a new model? also i heard about bigger cards and power requirements. will my PC be able to power a bigger card? lets say 1GB or so? how do i make sure i have enough power? also whats the difference between DDR2 and DDR3? i saw that while shopping around yesterday. any recommendations on a good video card would be appreciated.

i was also curious about my processor. i know processors can't(or are extremely difficult) to replace but i am wondering how it stacks up against other processors. The specs say:

Pentium® D CPU 2.80 GHz
2.79 GHz, 2.00 GHz RAM
Physical Address Extention

And the outside of my PC has a sticker that says Intel VIIV. What is that? How is my processor for running multiple applications and other tasks like video editing? how does it compare with duo cores that i see now? its not as cheap as the old celeron processors is it? is it a generally good processor?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 04:28 PM

Integrated RAMDAC

Your current setup has the video chip built into the motherboard
The small socket is PCI-E for upgrade purposes
What is the model number or service tag number of the Dell?
It should be on the back
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 04:29 PM

Hmm looks like either PCI or AGP cant tell the card is in the way :thumbsup: . What is the make and model of the computer?

Edit: LOL I TOOTALLY missed the Dell logo.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 17 August 2009 - 04:30 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 orangeflava

orangeflava
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:56 PM

Integrated RAMDAC

Your current setup has the video chip built into the motherboard
The small socket is PCI-E for upgrade purposes
What is the model number or service tag number of the Dell?
It should be on the back

it says Dell XPS 400. I find it weird that in the original order detail it says my video card is a "256MB nVidia Geforce 7300LE TurboCache" but when searching on my computer it says 512mb. oh well...

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:00 PM

Dell XPS 400 specifications
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...s.htm#wp1053343
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:00 AM

According to the documentation that Garmanma provided you have a PCI-E x16 slot open. Which means you can use a PCI-E card. You will need to upgrade the power supply to support the larger video card. Your processor is a P4 you can upgrade to a faster P4 but the gains will be minimal at best.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 orangeflava

orangeflava
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:55 AM

ok i have some questions:

"Your current setup has the video chip built into the motherboard"

1. so what does that mean? i cannot replace that video chip? i can only add another? it seems like i could just pull it out.

"The small socket is PCI-E for upgrade purposes", "According to the documentation that Garmanma provided you have a PCI-E x16 slot open"

what small socket are you talking about? and i thought the x16 is the big black one where the video card is attached? which one are you talking about?

"You will need to upgrade the power supply to support the larger video card."
How exactly do i do that? what is the power supply and what do i upgrade it to? what is it at now?

Why does my initial order form say i have one thing but the XPS 400 documentation say i have something else?

Original Order Form: PentiumŪ D Processor 820 with Dual Core Technology (2.80GHz, 800FSB)

Documentation: IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Socket-T with Hyper-Threading or Dual-Core support

Can you help name my slots? I lettered them A-F in the photo below. I would like to know what types i have. Not sure if F is a PCI but the other should be. are they PCI, PCIe, x16, x4, etc...

Posted Image

How to upgrade the video card?

so what type of connector on the video card i buy do i need? do i add it to an open slot(and if so, which one?) or do i replace the video card that is already on board? if i can choose any slot to add a card then which one is fastest or the best to install into? how do i calculate what power supply goes with what card? any recommendations on a video card(1gb or more) and/or power supply based on the info i provided? thanks.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:21 AM

i cannot replace that video chip? i can only add another? it seems like i could just pull it out.

It is soldered in place on the motherboard. You either disable it in the BIOS or on some computers, just install the new video card

what small socket are you talking about? and i thought the x16 is the big black one where the video card is attached? which one are you talking about?

The short black one, underneath the white one in your last picture - Letter C

Why does my initial order form say i have one thing but the XPS 400 documentation say i have something else?
Original Order Form: PentiumŪ D Processor 820 with Dual Core Technology (2.80GHz, 800FSB)
Documentation: IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Socket-T with Hyper-Threading or Dual-Core support

There is nothing there referring to video

Integrated RAMDAC

This means you have integrated video
Mark
Posted Image

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:09 AM

Platypus took the time to do a little more research
Here is a diagram of your motherboard
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...v.htm#wp1053345
This should answer your questions
Mark
Posted Image

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:06 AM

I found your query just as I was very wearily heading late for bed, orangeflava, so as garmanma was responding, I alerted him to the link he posted for you. Thanks for passing it on, garmanma.

my current video card is attached via pci express, correct? is it possible to add a second video card to an open slot or should i replace my current card with a new model?

Yes, it's not so easy to make out from the images but with the help of the board layout from that link, the third image is showing a passively cooled PCIe x16 video card. You would need to replace the existing card with a better one.

i heard about bigger cards and power requirements. will my PC be able to power a bigger card? lets say 1GB or so? how do i make sure i have enough power? also whats the difference between DDR2 and DDR3?

With a 375W power supply, your system would probably only be able to power a card that gets all its power from the PCIe slot (maximum 75W), and doesn't require any extra power connectors. The amount of memory plays a part in the power requirement, but also how powerful the graphics chip on the card is. You wouldn't be able to use a very high performance card with the existing PSU. DDR3 memory is faster than DDR2, but not by a lot.

the outside of my PC has a sticker that says Intel VIIV. What is that?

It is Intel's specification for a Media PC, which is the reason the system has a modest video card. It's passively cooled to not make the computer loud, and concentrates what performance it has on accelerating tasks like DVD playback.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Viiv

i was also curious about my processor. How is my processor for running multiple applications and other tasks like video editing? how does it compare with duo cores that i see now? its not as cheap as the old celeron processors is it? is it a generally good processor?

A Pentium D 820 is a decent processor. It isn't "cut down" like a Celeron, but current CPUs like Core2 have much higher performance. Also its power consumption is high and yours is low in clock speed at 2.8GHz (the base model). Multitasking and video editing are strong points of the Pentium D in comparison with similar CPUs of its time:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/displ...ntiumd-820.html

Edited by Platypus, 21 August 2009 - 07:08 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users