Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to get a legacy MS-DOS application running under Windows XP Pro

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hawks1282

hawks1282

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:48 AM

Hello,

I'm trying to set up a new computer, and unfortunately there are two MS-DOS design programs that need to run on it. We've been running these programs on an old MS-DOS 6.0 PC forever and finally decided it's time to get rid of that computer. I tried installing the MS-DOS under VirtualBox, but had continuous problems completing the installation (usually when the computer asked for Disk #2, it wouldn't recognize that the disk was present). I looked at VirtualPC 2007, but since they no longer support the MS-DOS addons for mouse emultation and shared directories, I ended up installing DOS to VirtualPC 2004 with no problems.

So here's the problem, each of the legacy programs requires its own Parallel Port Dongle (we have both of these and they work fine on the older DOS computer). When everything is finally set up, one of the programs runs and recognizes its dongle, but the second one does not. (I also tried DOSBOX, but then neither program detected its dongle).

Can anyone suggest a way for me to get this working, or at least some troubleshooting steps I can take? I have so far tried rearranging the dongles, installing different versions of the software (we had a few upgrade packs), slowing down the software using moslo, and monitoring the parallel port to try and see if the software and the dongle are talking at all. I tried monitoring the Parallel port with PortMon, but it didn't display any communications at all (even with the program that worked).

I've tried running the software directly under Windows XP using NTVDM, but then neither program detects its dongle. I assume this is because of Windows XP preventing direct access to the ports, but I could be mistaken there. I know there are many options for computability under NTVDM, but I have no experience using it.

By the way, the programs do not have the .exe extension. They have .com extensions.

If any one has any ideas as to what could be causing the problem, or even if someone has a good quality parallel port sniffer so I can see if they're talking it would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The Bear

The Bear

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:39 AM

There are several solutions based on different programs, what are the programs ?

Bear

EDIT:

SourceForge/Parallel Port Sniffer

SourceForge is a great place to look for quality programs

Edited by The Bear, 17 August 2009 - 10:43 AM.

Computer help forums are full of those that go around the internet
clicking Willy Nilly and installing or downloading everything in site

#3 hawks1282

hawks1282
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:25 AM

Thanks for the response Bear.

The programs are called TangoSCH and TangoPCB, they are electronic circuit design and PCB design software. TangoPCB runs perfectly under VPC2004. The oldest version of TangoSCH we have (1.13) will usually recognize the dongle and run the first time you try it, but not after that until you reset the VPC. Version 2.02 does not recognize the dongle at all.

Source Forge is one of those sites I regularly go to looking for good software :thumbsup: , but I haven't been able to find the an lpt sniffer that will log the data that is sent and received. There are lots of programs for viewing and changing the lpt pins, but when the software checks there's no way to record what handshaking transpired.

I was hoping to try recording the lpt communications while running version TangoSCH 1.13 that first time (when it recognizes the dongle), then comparing it to later attempts to try to get a handle on where the problem is occurring.

Any thoughts on trying it in NTVDM? The person who uses the software said that it never ran on a PC faster than what it is on now (a 486 running at 66MHz), so I've been trying to find software to slow down the program in Windows. I still feel that not being able to direct access the port in Windows XP will prevent it from working anyway.

#4 hawks1282

hawks1282
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:26 AM

Ok, everything is working now :thumbsup:

As mentioned, I had tried DOSBox with no success, and looked around their website for a while and found that direct parallel port access was not supported (not being necessary for any games). Somewhere on the web I found a post mentioning about a specific build of DOSBox where one of the programmers (h-a-l-9000) direct access using the PortTalk driver.

Long story short, installed the driver, installed the DOSBox Megabuild, mapped the dos programs, and it's all working perfectly.

Thanks

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,511 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:19 PM

Excellent news, and thank you very much for sharing you resolution. It is most appreciated. :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 steven_t_lc

steven_t_lc

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:38 AM

We can help you with dongle issues.
http://dongle-emulator.net/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users