Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot access my hard drive

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ahmed Kasrawy

Ahmed Kasrawy

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:48 AM

I have win. xp professional and i have 3 hard drive partitions: C (windows partition) and D & E which are both data partitions. now the D&E partitions cannot be accessed through my computer and i cannot see them on device manager. the exact message i get when i double click or explore them is :
"(drive name)/ is not accessible.
the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."
and even when i try to reinstall a fresh windows copy it goes and says: " no valid system partitions were found, setup is unable to continue."
bear in mind that the copy of windows i'm trying to install is located on my C drive (the actual setup file) since even my cd/dvd drive doesn't seem to burn stuff anymore.
All i wanna do now is setup a new copy of windows, someone help please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:56 AM

Hard drive diagnostic seems in order to me.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Long/extended test.

Louis

#3 Ahmed Kasrawy

Ahmed Kasrawy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:56 AM

k so i did a report using everest and i attached it here. i don't know if this is what u wanted tho.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:37 AM

No...please read the link I posted.

Louis

#5 Ahmed Kasrawy

Ahmed Kasrawy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:37 PM

sorry if i'm being kinda stupid, but the link u posted had many software programs and i don't know which one to download and use.

#6 Ahmed Kasrawy

Ahmed Kasrawy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:42 PM

oh btw i can access my C drive through my computer but not my D and E. All the drives don't show up on device manager.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:00 PM

No problem :thumbsup:.

What you call "drive" is really a partition. A partition is like a drawer in a file cabinet, with the hard drive being the file cabinet.

From what I understand, you have 3 partitions on one hard drive...is that accurate?

The purpose of running a hard drive diagnostic...is to test the entire drive, not just 1 partition. If the drive has problems and all 3 partitions are on that drive...the user has problems with all 3.

To determine what disk diagnostic you need to run...you need to take a look at the hard drive in your system. You want to take note of who it's made by and what the model number is...write these down.

In turn, this will tell you what website you should go to...and what specific utility you need to use from that website...to check the status of your hard drive.

System manufacturer and model (e.g. Dell Dimension 123, eMachine T1234, etc.)?

If you really have 3 hard drives and not just 3 partitions...pardon my misinterpretation.

Louis

#8 Ahmed Kasrawy

Ahmed Kasrawy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:18 AM

no u are right there is one drive and 3 partitions the hard drive is a Toshiba MK1637GSX model. i'll start running the appropriate test right away. Thanks for the help.

#9 Ahmed Kasrawy

Ahmed Kasrawy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:22 AM

One more thing, if i can boot my O/S from the hard drive doesn't that mean that the hard drive itself is intact? And if so then I just need a quick fix to be able to reinstall a new windows O/S entirely. Also I believe this to be a virus problem and not some hardware malfunction.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:33 AM

Here's the thing :thumbsup:...what one is capable of at this moment on a computer...may not be available in the next minute/day/month.

That's the basic premise behind backing up...the uncertainty principle of life, certainly life with computers :flowers:.

You can assume whatever you want, it's your system.

As for running the diagnostic...since you only have one hard drive, I would suggest it.

If you had two or more hard drives...your risk would be theoretically a bit lessened. But, as it is, if that hard drive fails...you have nothing. If your system partition (the one on which XP is located) becomes inaccessible, you currently have no easy means of accessing the other two partitions (even if they have no problems).

I suggest it, but it's your call.

<<Also I believe this to be a virus problem and not some hardware malfunction.>>

Malware can just as easily prevent use of a single hard drive...as a mechanical malfunction. Actually, it's probably statistically more likely that malware will adversely impact a system...than it is likely that a hard dive will fail, IMO.

<<...when i try to reinstall a fresh windows copy it goes and says: " no valid system partitions were found, setup is unable to continue."
bear in mind that the copy of windows i'm trying to install is located on my C drive (the actual setup file) since even my cd/dvd drive doesn't seem to burn stuff anymore.>>

Well...if you have XP open and you are trying to install XP on that partition...it cannot happen. XP must be installed from outside the partition you intend to install it on. I suggest you get a working optical drive.

FWIW: The "drive not accessible" error message typically indicates a hard drive/partition problem (when the partition/drive indicated is a hard drive), a search using Google and "drive not accessible" will confirm this.

Louis

#11 xhanis

xhanis

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:51 PM

Hello ahmad kasrawy i just want to says about what hamluis says are true if the drive c: fail its mean no access until you repair it or install a new windows or buy the new harddisk to replace the damage hard disk.
Anyway i just want suggest you to buy a external harddisk to store your importance note and data or anything you feel need to stored.

And dont forget to replace your cd\dvd if it was really broken\damage you might needed for future usage
this is a suggestion just like what hamluis says for your own good

good luck to you again

#12 Ahmed Kasrawy

Ahmed Kasrawy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:54 PM

well the thing is, my hard drive is Toshiba which has no diagonistic tools available but thanks for the help anyway.

#13 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:59 PM

Have you checked here?

Probably have but thought I would post it just in case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users