Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't install Ubuntu 9.04 on my computer. Help!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 john23jay

john23jay

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:03 AM

I can't install Ubuntu on my computer. I don't know why is it so? Well in fact, it is an original installation CD.

I have 2 computers. One is windows xp and the other is vista. i want to install the Ubuntu on my first computer which windows xp is currently the OS. i'm not looking for the dual-boot for that. if possible, a clean installation of ubuntu is all i need.

now the problem is when i try to click "install ubuntu" or "try ubuntu without having any changes to the computer" does not continue to load while booting the CD in BIOS. later on, there's an error saying "the kernel is not responding" or something like that. i can't remember the exact statement.

on the other hand, i try to install ubuntu while windows xp is still logged on. i think that would be possible because it will reboot by itself to continue installing. but, the error still exist. when i try to open the setup or the wubi.exe or run the autorun, a dialog box appears saying that it can't open because the setup is not fixed correctly? i think that's the one it says. i don't know with this one. it seems that it can't understand the CD.

beforehand, i boot the CD in BIOS mode using my window vista computer and clicked on the "try ubuntu without having changes to your computer". after a while, it loaded perfectly. even if i opened it while windows vista is logged on, it just restarted and booted on ubuntu.

now, what's the problem with my windows xp?
as what Ubuntu minimum reqirement is:
*at least pentium 3 @250MHz

whereas my windows xp configuration is:
*intel pentium 3 @551MHz
*128mb of ram
*20gb hdd

then my vista configuration is:
*intel dual core @2.50GHz
*2.00gb of ram
*250gb hdd

please help! i want to install ubuntu on my xp computer. thanks:D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,096 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:17 AM

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installat...temRequirements

Bare Minimum requirements

It should be possible to get Ubuntu running on a system with the following minimum hardware specification, although it is unlikely that the system would run well. You should use the Alternate install CD to attempt such an installation.

* 300 MHz x86 processor
* 64 MB of system memory (RAM)
* At least 4 GB of disk space (for full installation and swap space)
* VGA graphics card capable of 640x480 resolution
* CD-ROM drive or network card

Recommended minimum requirements
Ubuntu should run reasonably well on a computer with the following minimum hardware specification. However, features such as visual effects may not run smoothly.

* 700 MHz x86 processor
* 384 MB of system memory (RAM)
* 8 GB of disk space
* Graphics card capable of 1024x768 resolution
*Sound card

*A network or Internet connection
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 john23jay

john23jay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:45 PM

well if that is the bare minimum system requirements, it should run on my windows xp pc. i have a cd rom drive but no network card, 551MHz processor, 128mb of ram, 20gb hdd(16gb free as of now) and a vga graphics card of 640x480.

what do you think is the problem with this?

if there is a recommended minimum requirements, does that mean i can't install Ubuntu because some features of my windows xp pc is below the recommended requirements?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,096 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:34 AM

Lot of difference in the "bare minimums, your computer" and recommended minimum.
Maybe you missed the line---"You should use the Alternate install CD to attempt such an installation."

Using the Alternate install CD would be your best chance of successfully installing Ubuntu.

QUOTE: The text based alternate installer can be downloaded from the complete list of download locations below. This installation CD is suited for computers unable to run the graphical desktop based installation, either because their computer does not meet the minimum requirements for the live cd or because their computer requires configuration after the installation is complete in order to use the desktop.
http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate

There are Linux distros that work well on older computers.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:47 AM

get the excat error msg and google it

#6 Miljet

Miljet

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:21 PM

It would be my guess that the CD drive in your XP machine is bad and introducing errors while trying to read the live CD. Since the CD works normally in the Vista machine, the problem is obviously not with the CD. Do you have another CD drive that you can try in this machine? Or possibly temporarily swap the drives between the machines?

#7 winst0n

winst0n

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:27 PM

Damn Small Linux might be an option.

Ubuntu 9.04 is really new.
Ubuntu 8.04 might fair better.
If there is nothing sacred on the XP computer I would try using a partition tool to set the partitions up before booting the Install CD.
There is a tool called "Universal Boot CD" that will boot you into a basic linux shell (For advanced users).
You can also boot into a few flavours of DOS if you a reasonably knowledgeable with Command Shell.
I have spent a lot of time with "File System Tools"> "Parttition Tools"
There are several ... I would say Ranish provides the most extensive info.

Your computer is older so you want to find a Linux Distro that is compact, while still being as PNP as possible.
Are you sure you CD player is OK?
It shouldn't be too pricey to pick up another one if you have a problem.
Someone in your neck of the woods may let you rip an old one from a dead computer.

I've only tried Ubuntu 8.04 & 9.04 with any seriousness.
I has Mandrake a while back ... didn't do much but load it in.

One thing I would look at in your situation would be getting the CD for "Damn Small Linux."
www.damnsmalllinux.org
here's one ISO:
ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/damnsmalllinu...10-syslinux.iso

I lost my CD but it should be able to be downloaded and burnt with you Vista machine.
You can run it live without installing to see if you like it enough to kill your XP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users