Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ntldr missing and hal.dll missing and corrupted

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xhanis

xhanis

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:57 PM

hello all for the first i have the problem of ntldr is missing and maybe some of the question are answered in someone thread but then i encounter this problem
WINDOWS COULD NOT START BECAUSE THE FOLLOWING FILE IS MISSING OR CORRUPT:
<WINDOWS ROOT>\SYSTEM32\HAL.DLL
PLEASE REINSTALL A COPY OF THE ABOVE FILE.
what is this
this happen when i try to run a recovery console for winxp pro
something like copy ntldr and ntdetect.com

is there any one who can help this problem

i really appreciated it
thank you :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:17 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:03 AM

The file could really be missing or corrupt, or the file system integrity on your hard disk may have been compromised after a power failure, non graceful shutdown or aborted boot/restart. Have any of those things happened?

I would first start with Method 4 from the CoolCatBad article - run chkdsk /r on your HDD from after booting the Windows Recovery Console. But first, you have to be in the Recovery Console, so if you are still seeing that message, you are trying to boot XP, so you need to back up a bit.

You can boot RC if you have access to a bootable XP installation CD (not a manufacturers installation/repair CD), RC was thoughtfully installed previously on your HDD and appears a a boot option, or you can make a bootable CD with just the RC on it.

Not everyone will have a bootable XP installation CD and they rarely seem to come with store bought computers. It is unlikely to be installed as a boot option unless you did it using an XP installation CD, but just about anyone can easily create a bootable CD with just RC on it.

What do you have/want to do?

Once you have RC running, you can run chkdsk /r as a first step.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:59 AM

Boot into recovery console. See how to boot into recovery console (see Option 2) : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

When in recovery console type the following and one line at a time, pressing Enter each time:
cd \
attrib -s -h -r boot.ini
ren boot.ini boot.ini.bak
bootcfg /rebuild
fixboot

Finally type exit and press Enter to restart your compter

When bootcfg /rebuild asks for Load identifier just press Enter, when it asks for Load options type /fastdetect and pres Enter.

Edited by Romeo29, 17 August 2009 - 09:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users