Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good connection, but no internet - utterly confused

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 geaux

geaux

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:50 PM

Hello all,

I'm an infrequent reader and first-time poster with a problem I have tried everything I can think of to fix, to no avail. I have a perfectly fine local area connection that pings and has no problems, BUT...I cannot access the internet through any web browser. I have run winsockfix, reset all those settings, etc., but still cannot get online. I am totally at a loss.

If anyone can please offer some suggestions, they would be tremendously appreciated. I've been at this for hours and hours now, with no luck.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:20 AM

What operating system?

How do you connect, wireless, wired?

DSL, cable, dial-up? External modem type?

Are you using a router, type?

Is this a new set-up or did you have a working connection and at some point it just quit working.

#3 geaux

geaux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:47 PM

Windows XP

Wired

DSL

No router, just through DSL modem which is okay

I had a working connection that quit working. I had run some windows updates and added Comodo firewall (which did not work properly and was then uninstalled, which is around the time the problem started); also added AVG antivirus, MalwareBytes, Spyware Blaster.

I have reset the winsock settings, uninstalled anything Norton and Symantec, run SuperAntiSpyware, run MalwareBytes...basically everything I can think of, to no avail.

I have noted that when I am restarting, the restart is seemingly always held up by helpermsglistenerwnd still running. Don't know the significance of that.

(ETA - I uninstalled Itunes and the helpermsglistenerwnd problem is solved. Still, no internet.)

Thoughts?

Edited by geaux, 17 August 2009 - 10:36 PM.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:07 AM

Are you running the Windows firewall now? Or any other firewall? If so have you tried disabling them to see if that solves it.

Have you tried the Network set-up Wizard?

Other then asking for assistance on the Comodo forum for a possible fix I am a little lost as well. May be that some setting or remanent of Comodo got left behind.

Edited by ThunderZ, 18 August 2009 - 07:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users