Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player Troubles

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LazyMan826

LazyMan826

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:43 PM

When I try and play my movie clip type thing, it says that their is an error downloading the codec.

I am not sure what that means. I can't hear any sound from the video but I can see the actual video clip.

What should I do and how do I fix this? I played a regular music file and it can play that so I have a feeling this codec thing is what is messing me up.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:04 AM

What kind of media file is it?

Did you acquire the file from a trusted resource? Many, many media files downloaded from peer to peer networks like Limewire contain malicious code that attempts to download "codecs" which are in fact malware. They take advantage of Windows Media Player's default setting to automatically download codecs from whatever URL is specified in the media file. 99% there isn't even any actual medai in the files to begin with.

You might try downloading VLC Media Player. It's a free player (under the GNU GPL) that plays pretty much every format known to man right out of the box.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users