Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Service Pack 3

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lips24

lips24

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:26 PM

I have been attempting to update to Windows Service Pack 3 on my PC but each time during the installation it errors out and reverses the installation. The first error message that I receive reads "Access Denied." After that messages pop up along the lines of "Installation failed, the installation process will now be reversed" and when it finishes the reversal it says "Windows may not function properly." Each time I start my PC it tries to install Service Pack 3 and this really slows down the functionality of my PC so I've actually limited my automatic updates so that it only notifies me of updates and lets me choose when to download/install them now . Anybody have any ideas as to why I am having this issue? Do I really need to have Service Pack 3?

Thank you in advance for your help! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:36 AM

Download SP3 from here and save it to your hard drive:

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/windo...ice-pack-3.html

Then double-click the downloaded file to install it.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 lips24

lips24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:37 PM

Hi Budapest,

That file did not work for me either. The same scenario happened where half way through it said "access denied" and stopped the installation.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:39 PM

Try installing from Safe Mode.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 lips24

lips24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:07 PM

Safe Mode didn't work either. The same thing happened where it stopped half way through at the "updating registry keys" portion.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:11 PM

Are you logged in as an Admin?

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 lips24

lips24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:59 PM

Budapest, I have tried to install it in Safe Mode specifically under the Administrator login and it still fails to install. This time the "Access Denied" error was a little more specific. It said...

Service Pack 3 Setup could not backup registry key HKCR\FormHost.FormHost
to file C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\reg00133. 5:
Access is denied.

It gave me the option to Abort, Retry, or Ignore. Retry did not work. I hit ignore but received the same error several times but for different files. I ignored about a dozen or so errors until I hit abort to cancel the install.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:01 PM

See this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users