Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3 Admin Tools will not start, Computer Management,

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wfrazier

wfrazier

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 17 July 2005 - 03:57 PM

Hi,

My system was recently attacked by SpySheriff and other bad stuff. Slowly I'm getting things back to normal.

The current problem is 3 items in the Administrative Tools option of Control Panel will not run when I click on their icons (Computer Management, Event Viewer, and Component Services). When I right click the items and select properties I find all fields under the Shortcut Tab either empty or grayed out. You can not enter any Target: and the Find Target... button is grayed out.

If I go to the System32 directory I can start all the programs by double clicking their directory entry.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get these programs working properly by clicking their shortcut icon in the Administrative Tools and restoring the Shortcut info. to the icon?

Thanks again

WFrazier

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wfrazier

wfrazier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 17 July 2005 - 08:58 PM

OK, I'll answer my question. I was able to delete the shortcuts that didn't work. I then created new shortcuts for each item. The only possible problem I can see for the solution I used is the original targets had file locations like

%SystemRoot%system32perfmon.msc /s,

some with startup options like /s

The shortcuts I created have specific file locations like

C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32COMPMGMT.MSC

and I have no idea if they should have a startup option or not.

At least they are working again like they should.

WFrazier

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users