Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 RC Installation

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:33 PM

Downloaded and burned the iso a couple of weeks ago....Took quite a while to download but I stuck with it....First attempt to install failed ( hardware issue...DVD RW drive was not working. It burned the DVD but couldn't read it for some reason). Purchased a new DVD drive this afternoon at "Best Buy". Installed it into the computer and loaded Windows 7 onto a separate partition....Smooth as silk...Had a slight conflict with setting up my mobile Sprint 598U modem but after downloading drivers was able to get it going....Next issue was drivers for my printer but after visiting updates from microsoft both my printer and sound issues were fixed...So far so good...I really like the feel of it so far....I have been a hardcore XP fan for a bunch of years but I think this OS can make a converter of me...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:44 AM

Hay OldGrumpyBastard do all of us hang on to XP-PRO a favor and keep us posted on your run with Windows 7. If it makes you happy it will most likely make me happy.

#3 ranger72

ranger72

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:26 AM

what are you using for email?

thanks,

ranger72
So Much To Learn; So Little Time To Learn It In!

#4 merzin

merzin

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:53 PM

I have been using it for 3 months now and I have only had one or 2 blue screens but that was my fault for overclocking to high. I love it actually.. Did not have to install RAID drivers (which is worth it alone!) Had my printer drivers only driver I had to install was for my 4890..I look at this as the vista that actually works.. I look at Vista as a step above Window ME..Everything works fine all my games all my older programs (some you will need to run in compatibility mode) Already have it pre-ordered.. If you act before September 9th (I think) you get a great discount! So no new to buy OEM..
Amd Phenom 955 @ 3.8ghz
2 gigs OCZ 1333
4 Velociraptor's in Raid 0
2 750 gig HD's in Raid 1
Pc&p 1200 watt
Saphire Tech 4890

#5 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:31 AM

Layback,

I am really impressed with Windows 7 so far...Not one problem...Every thing works and is clean and crisp....I feel that Microsoft did this one right...I have to agree that this one is everything that Vista should have been and more...

#6 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:50 AM

Ranger,

I am still using my standard old Yahoo account...If it ain't broke, don't fix it...through Windows 7. It just picked up where XP Pro left off...Just had to log in (but you have to do that anyway)...

I haven't messed with Outlook in quite a few years so I can't give you an answer about it...(If that is your question).

Edited by OldGrumpyBastard, 25 August 2009 - 07:00 AM.

#7 ranger72

ranger72

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:25 AM

Yes, I was just curious as I was hoping to be able to use Outlook Express but I don't think that is going to happen. I also attempted to install mozilla thunderbird and was able to download it but it would not install the last time I tried.

I have been using windows live mail which is the client included in Win 7 os but I have to say that It is not doing the job and so far at least in terms of my own experience with win 7 live mail is the only aspect of the OS which is not working the way it is intended to.

When I open live mail it opens, then it informs me that it is checking for mail and then it informs me that I'm working online, however the mail does not always show up in the "inbox". If I open up any other e-mail in win xp home, win xp pro and Vista my mail shows up as it should.

I believe I have enabled the account properly but again sometimes the mail shows up and sometimes it doesn't.

go here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1397157 to see the other info I have posted about my experience with Win 7 RC eval build 7100.

I like the OS very much and I believe it will be the next "Win xp pro" and I think most of the bugs will be worked out by the time the manufacturer's release is dumped in October.

Thanks,
ranger72

#8 ranger72

ranger72

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:22 AM

I believe I have solved the problem I had within "livemail". It was a matter of a simple setting within "tools"> "accounts">"properties">"servers"> under "outgoing mail server"> "My server requires authentication" box did not have a checkmark. I applied the checkmark and "Livemail" seems to be working properly now. :huh:

So far the above listed problem with livemail was my only complaint with all of Win 7 RC eval build 7100 and that is now solved. I had messed up the setting.

So I stand by my opinion that I think this OS will be the next "Great One" from Microsoft.

Thanks,

ranger72 :huh:

#9 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 28 August 2009 - 03:13 AM

just love everything about Windows Seven no problems yet all my software works like it should .My network hooked up without me doing anything my printer and my 2 XP pro puters reported for duty no problem along with my XBOX 360 its like it should be just can't wait for the final release my version is 7100 no complaints http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/sty...-emo-button.png

#10 cocutzamisca

cocutzamisca

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:03 AM

I love it too,my avast is running perfect on it,firefox 3.5,IE 8,windows 7 firewall,windows defender,malwarebytes latest version pro.Most of the drivers went in after I installed it,only my video driver wasn't compatible so I made it work as in xp.I've tested microsoft office and it worked great,no issues,now the trial is end and I use zimbra desktop as mail client that keeps yahoo mail and gmail in one free apps. For now I use sumatra PDF viewer because uses less resourcess than adobe and it's free too.Most of my kid games run fine on it,most of programs and apps that I have in xp home run fine in 7 too.So,I love this OS. :huh:
cocutzamisca

#11 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:07 PM

Folks I'm reading all of this and I hope billy is too. To get this many good reports from a operating system before it has really come out; well I don't remember that ever happing before. Now the next question is how many different Windows 7 are they going to be and which one to buy.

#12 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2009 - 01:09 PM

The more that I use this system the more I like it....Windows Media Center blows Windows Media Player away...literally there is no comparison...There are several versions...which one to choose will be pretty much up to your system and what you are looking for....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

Gotta, agree with you about this OS...Great right out of the box...Hell, it really hasn't been boxed up yet and it is still great...

#13 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2009 - 01:53 AM

OldGrumpyBastard thanks for the web site. I was wondering weather 7 could handle 32 and 64 bit. I'm working up a dream list for my next desk top. Intel I7-975 Extreme Edition and i7-950 look like there made for Windows 7.

#14 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 11 October 2009 - 03:47 AM

I have been dual booting Build 7100 with XP MCE since May and am very much in favour of Win 7, use it all the time.

My biggest problem has been Windows Explorer which locks up a lot when trying to open a folder. Kill the process in Task Manager and then it starts up automatically without any other problem.

Couldn't run SAS Pro, which is a known problem, so bought MBAM Pro which works fine. Good old AVAST toddles along without any issue, but ERUNT will not work properly. WinPatrol Plus, TheatFire, and GMAIL are all good.

I will be looking at Win 7 Premium when it is released. The one thing I really like is 7's ability to diagnose and fix any problems it finds within itself. The diagnostic information it collects and displays will blow you away. Vista started along this track but never really worked.

A big thumbs up from me.

Edited by rowal5555, 11 October 2009 - 03:48 AM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users