Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.htm file opens on startup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dever

dever

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:52 AM

When windows (XP Pro) starts, a file path (.htm) automatically starts and overlays itself on top of the desktop. It is a blank white screen, probably because no file exists at that location. I get a Cannot find 'file ///C:/ etc etc .htm'. There is nothing within msconfig>startup that appears to be triggering it.

Thanks for any suggestions!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:17 AM

Can you post the onscreen data exactly as it appears?

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:18 AM

Would you please post the exact message?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dever

dever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:28 AM

Sorry, I didn't include it because I believe the file to be a legitimate one (non virus) which once existed on the computer. The exact message is: Cannot find 'file:///C:/Pubs/index.htm'. Make sure the path or Internet address is correct.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 12:43 PM

FWIW: Msconfig does not present all startup items. Msconfig is a troubleshooting tool, devised to assist in attempts to analyze boot issues.

I'd like to know what program was installed that this path could be for...but, at the moment, I'm inclined to think the item is a startup pointer for a program which no longer is installed.

You can download/install a utility which may assist in verification/refutation of the premise I put forth, AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

This utility reflects all startup items...but you should only concern yourself with the Logon tab. Take a look and see if you can make a connection.

Please read the instructions for using this utility before beginning.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users