Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program Slowdown

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 vayne24

vayne24

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:39 AM

Hello

Lately my pc has been acting strangely. A few minutes after any program with audio and graphics starts, the said program starts to slow down dramatically.
visuals lagging behind and sound getting choppy. It gets back to normal about 10% of the time but too bad is doesn't stay that long. just about a minute or two.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the slowdown but... my internet browsing has even gone slow too. Normal Download speeds, Video streaming, and even online games doesn't suffer slowness as internet browsing... So i thought that it might be the internet browser having the same problems as other programs. I downloaded different internet browsers and tested them right away to no avail.

I have ESET NOD32 Antivirus™ 4.0.437.0 and malwarebytes' anti-malware installed and used them to scan the system. none is found though.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Geek Aviator

Geek Aviator

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:53 PM

Hi Vayne24,

In general terms it seems that the issue is with slow computer performance, try steps in the below link
and check if the condition improves.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;308417

Also try the below steps:

Click on start -> Run -> Type "%temp%" (without the quotes) in run and hit enter.

A window titled "Temp" will come up, Delete each and every file there (you may not be able to delete some of them, ignore those files).

Then click on start -> Run -> Type "prefetch" (without the quotes) in run and hit enter.

A window titled "prefetch" will come up, Delete each and every file there.

Delete the temporary internet files and cookies.

Perform disk defragmentation: Right click My computer -> Manage -> select Disk Defragmenter (under storage) -> Select the drive (for eg. (c:) drive) and then click on defrag button.

Update the graphics driver.
Manage the startup program through msconfig.

For more advanced troubleshooting go through this document.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/

Hope this Works...

#3 vayne24

vayne24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:06 AM

I'm not sure how to delete temporary internet files and cookies

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:17 AM

I would uninstall the audio and video drivers (using Device Manager) and then reboot and reinstall same.

I would assume that 1 or both is/are damaged.

I would also check Event Viewer for errors that might provide clues, How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#5 vayne24

vayne24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:02 PM

I updated the video card and started in a "clean boot"

Somehow it improved... at least on my internet browsing part
nothing else changed...

#6 Geek Aviator

Geek Aviator

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:46 PM

Is the video and sound issue with any particular media application or with any media application? Can you name the media applications installed?

#7 vayne24

vayne24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:58 AM

I don't think there is a particular application. I usually use NO$GBA emulator, World of Warcraft, and some other games. I've noticed when I'm viewing videos with mkv format, it kinda lags behind. which is usually not the case. I really think it is general slowdown.

One thing. I was reminded by VDOTool that temperature was high. i don't know if this has anything to do with the lag since It was already lagging before the reminder.

also I have done everything you've listed there. except defrag though, tuneup says there's no need.

Edited by vayne24, 01 September 2009 - 08:05 AM.

#8 Geek Aviator

Geek Aviator

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:20 PM

Did you try Hamluis's suggestion above??

I assume that the problem is the video card...May I know which graphics card is installed?

#9 vayne24

vayne24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 06:43 AM

I have Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS here installed. I've not tried reinstalling the drivers but rather I've updated them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users