Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating '06 pc after Dell PC Restore

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 elskbrev

elskbrev

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:11 AM

Ok, I'm no techy, but my 2006 vintage Dell got a virus that sent it directly to the blue screen of death on start-up. Read all about it via Google searches and successfully orchestrated a REPAIR. Problem was, the end result looked like crap with aftermath of viral attack was still evident.

So, after flashing all essential files to an external hard drive, I did a Dell PC Restore. Could have saved a lot of time that way.

I then updated McAfee immediately (smart move, don't you think?), configured Outlook email and re-registered Microsoft Windows.

Auto update kicked in, telling me to download and install KB898461 (Windows Genuine Advantage Package Installer), but I ignored it.

Next I clicked to download the free update for Internet Explorer 8. The download started, but stopped to tell me I needed to manually download KB932823 first.

Went back and installed KB898461(above) as well as KB932823.

After restart, auto prompt wanted me to download KB970238 (these are all listed at download.microsoft.com, of course.) so I did.

After restart, and before attempting to download the IE8 update, auto update then informed me there were all of forty seven (47) updates ready for my computer, including IE8 for Windows XP (all except IE* were labeled "KBxxxxxx") so I clicked "OK," and a download commenced.

Do you see the problem here?

47 updates, including IE8.

How many hours on a cable line (T1) will this take!?!!?

Questions:
Anyone out there have experience with this? This download has been running for over twelve (12) hours now, I am concerned that that little humming thing in the box is going to burn out. Is there a way to abort the download and select individual files to download? If so, in what order? They came in listed alphabetically by name. Should they be installed in numeric order by KB label? If, let's say, the box finally stops humming and the usual "click here to install" cue pops up for all 47, does the pc just know what order to install them in? Guessing I shouldn't click ok on that anyway?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cindy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:20 AM

Don't auto-update...just go to the WUS and install critical updates manually...my suggestion. Windows Update will install them in the correct order/sequence.

Louis

#3 elskbrev

elskbrev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:43 AM

Thanks, Louis, you were right on. Further, a friend asked me whether I had yet downloaded SP3. No, I was still on SP2. He also informed me that the download process was halted overnight when my pc went into hibernation. In any event, the download must have aborted itself, because when I went to WU, all those same updates were still presented.

Somehow, the yellow shield that tells me when updates were available didn't pick up on the need for SP3 first. For that reason, I will not use it for downloads henceforth. Windows Updater, on the other hand, first asked me to download a couple of files one at a time--one of which was SP3--and only after installing SP3 did it prompt me to download and install 48 more updates. On the cable (not "T1") line I have at home, this took only a few minutes.

The entire process of rescusitating a pc from the blue screen of death on startup was a first time experience for me. Glad to have picked up this little bit of self-sufficiency, with the help of many very informative blogs and articles posted online.
Thanks all,
Cindy

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:18 AM

Glad you solved it...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users