Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Management Bus controller (SM BUS) needed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:02 AM

Ok guys/gals.

I have a problem with my new computer.

Comp Spec:
Ultima Warlord
Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P (Socket AM3) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
AMD PHENOM II X4 QUAD CORE 955 BLACK EDITION 3.2 (overclocked to 3.8)
Realtek High Definition Audio
Realtek RTL8168C(P)/811C(P) PCI-E Gigabyte Ethernet
WinXP 2002 SP2 updated to SP3

Now when I first had this computer 3 weeks ago I formatted NTFS and installed WinXP 2002 SP2, not problem there.
After it was up and running I checked in Device Manager that everything was connected. There were 2 devices with the exclamation marks by them.

1. Ethernet Controller
2. SM BUS Controller

I ran Gigabyte CD and installed drives that I thought I should need. I did a restart and checked Device Manager again but both items were still showing. I had to take the computer back to the builder the next day because they hadn't fitted the floppy drive. While I was there I told them about the 2 devices in Device Manager. Half an hour later they bought it back to me with the floppy drive fitted. I asked what these 2 devices were in Device Manager and what they did to correct them. They just said they installed the drivers. I asked where they had the drivers from as I couldn't see any on the Gigabyte CD, they just said the web. Well I needed to know exactly were just in case I do a rebuild at sometime and need to reinstall those, they wouldn't say (b*****ds).

Anyway last Friday I start the computer up and new hardware found. I cancel the find drivers as those are s**t. I check in Device Manager and the SM BUS Controller is back. I do a web search for anything to do with this and a lot of the info refers to Intel chipsets. Well its not an Intel processor its AMD. I search the AMD for info and drivers and I download various drivers but none of them made any difference.

I found one site that talked about when XP installed it should have noticed my hardware and installed drivers to suit.
As long your computer contains the required ACPI ASL control methods,
defined in the "SMBus Control Method Interface Specification", the SMBus driver will work.

If it worked before, but not now, it means the SMBus Controller was not detected on boot-up.

Drivers get installed only when their devices are detected. They're usually found in your XP CD in driver.cab an SP2.cab:

Z:\>expand -d driver.cab -f:smb*.*

Microsoft (R) File Expansion Utility Version 5.1.2600.0 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1990-1999. All rights reserved.

driver.cab: smb0w.dll
driver.cab: smb3w.dll
driver.cab: smbhc.sys
sp2.cab: smbbatt.sys
sp2.cab: smbclass.sys

5 files total.

It's also possible you may have added a new device -- a cheap fan, perhaps -- that will throw of the SMBus.

Either way, because it's a hardware detect issue, it might be worth reseating
all your devices to see if that rediscovers your SMBus Controller.

I found these file in the WinXP CD bit there was no inf file so I'm not sure how to install them.

Now on Friday I couldn't find anything to resolve this problem so I did a System Restore for a day. After the restart it didn't show up in Device Manager. I don't see anywhere else its listed in there, in any devices. Now I started up this morning the the SM Bus Controller is back. I don't want to keep doing System Restores if I can help it.

Thanks for you help in anticipation. :thumbsup: :flowers:

Keith.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:43 AM

SM bus drivers should be incorporated in the motherboard chipset drivers. These and LAN drivers on Gigabyte:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherb...st=xp#anchor_os

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:07 PM

SM bus drivers should be incorporated in the motherboard chipset drivers. These and LAN drivers on Gigabyte:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherb...st=xp#anchor_os

I went onto the Gigabyte site the other day but I couldn't anything relating to it, I don't know how I missed that one. This link is now saved seperately. I went back to the Gigabyte CD and searched around I could see the Gigabyte-Realtek Enternet drivers but I couldn't see any others. When you run the CD it shows everything is installed. There is no button to reinstall or remove.

Thanks again Platypus your a God send (not that I'm religious).

Topic [Resolved] :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:44 AM

Glad to assist.

And there's no need to be religious in order for God to send someone to help... :thumbsup:

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users