Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP update failure

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 SlobBuring

SlobBuring

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 17 July 2005 - 12:54 PM

Hello. I have automatic updates turned on, but noticed nothing was installing, so I went to Microsoft.com and tried manually. Here are the updates (critical) that are outstanding:

Security Update for Windows XP (KB890046)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB896428)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB893066)
Update for Windows XP (KB898461)
Security Update for JView Profiler (KB903235)
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - July 2005 (KB890830)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB901214)

I don't know why it will not let me install these. I tried disabling my pop up blocker, but no success, then I tried disabling my Symantec Antivirus and installing, which did not work either. If there is not enough info to go off of here, please tell me what else you need to know. Could firewalls be a problem here? Thanks in advance.
~Jon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 17 July 2005 - 02:40 PM

Hi what fire wall are you using, if windows it will let them through, on pop up blocker just click allow, when you go to download them from the site can you tell me what happens.

Then i may be able to help you also do you have sp2 installed.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 SlobBuring

SlobBuring
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2005 - 03:31 PM

I'm using Windows built in firewall (I do not know if there are any others on my computer that are currently running). I am allowing pop ups, and I'm running SP2, but still no luck. After "thinking" for about 5 minutes, the Installing Updates window from the WU site says:

Updates were unable to be successfully installed
The following updates were not installed:

Upon reviewing my update install history (about 2 minutes ago), I was quite shocked to see that my last successful install occured on May 18, 2005, and this was Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 This was done from the Updates site, but my last successful download from Automatic Updates occured on May 13, and this was Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - May 2005 (KB890830). Thank you for your fast response.
~Jon

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 17 July 2005 - 04:13 PM

Have you tried to put these 2 addresses in your Trusted Sites zone?
http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
http://*.windowsupdate.com

To add something to trusted sites:
open Internet Explorer
at the top click Tools
click Internet Options
click the Security tab
click the Trusted sites icon
click the Sites... button
where it says Add this Web site to the zone: type in the URL to the site
click the Add button
click the OK button
In the Trusted Sites zone, click the Custom Level... button
In the Reset custom settings window, set it to Low
Click Apply
Click OK

The popup blocker used to give me problems, even when turned off.
This took care of it, even with it turned on.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 SlobBuring

SlobBuring
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2005 - 08:32 PM

Well, I added those two sites to my trusted list and put the security on "low" but nothing changed. When I click Express Install on the windows update page it pops open a window with the heading: "installing updates" and in the window it says: The updates are being downloaded and installed. Then there's a box listed "installation status" w/ a blinking cursor underneath it. Finally in this window, at the bottom, it says: Preparing for download. That has the white download bar underneath it, but it never shows any sign of downloading anything. I can't imagine why windows updates would all of a sudden fail to download, but it's rather annoying. I do appreciate your help very much, and if I try anything that changes the status of this problem I won't hesitate to post it.
~Jon

#6 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 17 July 2005 - 09:20 PM

I'm using Windows built in firewall (I do not know if there are any others on my computer that are currently running). I am allowing pop ups, and I'm running SP2, but still no luck. After "thinking" for about 5 minutes, the Installing Updates window from the WU site says:

Updates were unable to be successfully installed
The following updates were not installed:

Upon reviewing my update install history (about 2 minutes ago), I was quite shocked to see that my last successful install occured on May 18, 2005, and this was Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 This was done from the Updates site, but my last successful download from Automatic Updates occured on May 13, and this was Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - May 2005 (KB890830). Thank you for your fast response.
~Jon

This will happen if you are running a "pireted version" of windows. After the 45 day activacation is up and you have not done the activacation at the microsoft site (I don't suggest doing this if you have a pitated version) it will no longer install the updates.
I don't know and am not saying that you are using a pirated version, all I am doing is letting you know that if you are this is what will happen.

#7 SlobBuring

SlobBuring
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2005 - 10:33 PM

This will happen if you are running a "pireted version" of windows. After the 45 day activacation is up and you have not done the activacation at the microsoft site (I don't suggest doing this if you have a pitated version) it will no longer install the updates.
I don't know and am not saying that you are using a pirated version, all I am doing is letting you know that if you are this is what will happen.

Thank you for that insightful tip, but I'm running a legit version of XP, and have been running it since January. So that means I successfully updated windows for about 110 days. Now, I do not remember "activating" windows, but if there is a 45 day limit to updates w/o activation, then I must have. And surely they would have that as part of their troubleshooting board, don't you think? (I would certainly hope so, anyway). Couldn't find any help in the FAQs on the Windows Updates site either. I almost wish you were right about my problem. Thank you for trying =) Oh, and I just downloaded the ActiveX for the "Microsoft Updates" which should also install any necessary windows updates, but no luck there either.
~Jon

#8 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2005 - 10:57 PM

Thank you for that insightful tip, but I'm running a legit version of XP, and have been running it since January. So that means I successfully updated windows for about 110 days. Now, I do not remember "activating" windows, but if there is a 45 day limit to updates w/o activation, then I must have. And surely they would have that as part of their troubleshooting board, don't you think? (I would certainly hope so, anyway). Couldn't find any help in the FAQs on the Windows Updates site either. I almost wish you were right about my problem. Thank you for trying =) Oh, and I just downloaded the ActiveX for the "Microsoft Updates" which should also install any necessary windows updates, but no luck there either.
~Jon

Here is another way to update windows -- Go to this site http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/
with FireFox or Mozilla. (Don't use Internet Exploder) Download the ext and follow the rest of thier instructions.

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2005 - 11:39 PM

Are you by any chance using Spybot's Teatimer?
I've read another post, on another board, where it was causing problems with MS updates.
If you are running it, turn it off, then try to download your updates.

By the way I wouldn't download MS updates from anywhere, but MS.
You never know exactly what your getting.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#10 SlobBuring

SlobBuring
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2005 - 11:55 PM

I am not (to my knowledge) running Spybots Teatimer. I don't know what that is, but if it is something I had to manually activate, then no. I went to http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/ and downloaded Mozilla Firefox (I had already heard good things about it, but had never bothered trying it) and updated from that site. It gave me 3 critical updates, which registered w/ windows, because when I went back to the Windows Update page, they no longer appeared as missing updates. I would feel more comfortable only receiving updates from MS though, and besides- there is no reason I should have to slink around the proper way of doing things just to update my OS.

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2005 - 12:14 AM

To see if TeaTimer is active:

Open Spybot
On the tool bar, at the top left, click Mode
Click Advanced Mode
A box will open, asking if you want to go to Advanced Mode, click Yes
On the left, click the Tools tab
Click Resident
If there is a check mark in Resident "SDHelper" and Resident "TeaTimer", uncheck them
Close Spybot and try MS again
If it still doesn't work, go back and re-check these entries

#12 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2005 - 12:21 AM

I would feel more comfortable only receiving updates from MS though, and besides- there is no reason I should have to slink around the proper way of doing things just to update my OS.

Its not really slinking around to update your computer its for the people (like me) who are 100% anti-Internet Explorer. The updates that they give you are from MS and are verified.

#13 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2005 - 12:35 AM

Have you tried here:
Windows Update Troubleshooter

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2005 - 02:23 PM

Do you have Everest Home Edition? If not - download it and run it and see exactly what updates you have and when they were installed.

Check specifically for SP2 and see if the installation of that may have coincided with the download problem. (SP 2 is a very long download and if you do not have broadband you may never have gotten it installed).

If you don't have SP2 installed you won't be able to download subsequent downloads.

If it isn't installed Microsoft will mail you a cd with SP 2 on it free.

If it is installed and possibly causing the download problem, Microsoft policy is to give you free support to correct the problem.

Microsoft Security Product Support Policy:
Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338). There is no
charge for support calls associated with security updates.
International customers can get support from their local Microsoft
subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found
at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

#15 SlobBuring

SlobBuring
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 12:03 AM

3 things to note here:
1) The microsoft troubleshooting site did not help. I followed some instructions on what I thought was a fix to my problem to no avail.
2) I downloaded and ran Everest Home Edition 2.01. Service Pack 2 is installed.
3) I have found a way to download and install the updates via IE and Microsoft. Here's what I do to get them to work:
I go to windows update and click express install. I copy the file names of the critical updates (example: KB898461), then I go to the "downloads" section of the microsoft website and search for these updates one at a time. I find the necessary update, click download, and it works. I do not know why I am unable to go to the windows update part and download them successfully (automatic updates still does not work either), yet I'm able to get them from another part of the site. There's just something up w/ that window that pops up when I click "install" on the WU portion of the site. It doesnt seem to just hang there, but nothing happens. Almost as if it were a broken link or something (not the best description, but the only one I can come up w/ at the moment). Well, there you have it- I can update via microsoft, just not from windows update or automatic updates. I would still like to remedy this, of course, so any other ideas are still more than welcome. Thank you all for your help, patience, and suggestions =)
~Jon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users