Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows SP3 Extraction Failed (file corrupt)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 06:20 AM

Hi,
My PC operating system is a genuine copy of Windows Home Edition XP SP2, updated a while back to SP3 and kept up to date via Windows Update. I came across an article on Google on slipstreaming an SP2 installation disc with SP3. Thinking that this was a good idea and would simplify any future reformats I decided to attempt it. I followed the instructions very carefully and it all goes to plan until I come to integrate the downloaded SP3 folder to the XP Home Edition SP2 folder when shortly after beginning to extract the files I get a pop up saying the files are corrupt. I have now downloaded 5 separate instances of SP3 from Windows downloads of both types of SP3 file, the ordinary stand alone version and the larger one for developers but get the same result every time with the Files are Corrupt message a few seconds into the file transfer process.
I am pretty sure that all these downloads cannot possibly be corrupt and wondered if anyone here at these forums could tell me what is possibly happening and a possible work round. Thanks in advance for any help offered.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:18 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Although there are various ways of creating a slipstreamed copy of XP...by far, the easiest way is to use the nLite tool.

Here at BC, we also have a tutorial on how to create a slipstreamed version of XP: Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

Louis

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 02:23 PM

Thanks Hamluis, downloaded, installed and now all done and dusted with no problems.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 03:24 PM

Glad you solved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users