Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All USB devices (mouse, tablet, keyboard) keep freezing/turning off and on

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 interrobangs

interrobangs

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:19 AM

This is my 5th time reformatting my computer this year and I'm getting pretty tired of these home repairs.
I recently reformatted and reinstalled Windows XP on my desktop computer. Since I'm working on what is basically a wiped slate, I'm assuming that my problems are hardware related.
All my USB devices, such as my wireless optical mouse, my keyboard, and my tablet have up-to-date drivers.

My USB devices keep 'freezing' meaning the computer stops receiving input from any of them, stays that way for about a minute and then goes back to normal. It does this at very frequent intervals (every 30 seconds or so) and it's very annoying and downright impossible to paint on Photoshop. I first thought my computer itself was freezing all the time (since it wouldn't respond to anything) but I kept hearing the "connected USB device" chime after my mouse and keyboard start working again and so I'm assuming there is something wrong with my root USB hub.

Bad USB has been an ongoing problem starting from an annoyance to being rather paralyzing to my computer as the frequency of the freezing has now grown to being constant.
This computer is not yet connected to the internet so I don't think it's the work of any virus. The problem existed before my reformat, when I always disconnecting from my wireless internet (using a USB internet dongle) and my wireless mouse would die all the time.

My dad built my computer and the computer parts are fairly new. I hope it just amounts to replacing something minimal as opposed to buying a new computer. I have USBs behind and in front of the tower and they all don't work. I just Prt Scr my device manager if it helps.
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/4613/devicemanager.png

The USB devices were cut off. It was nothing special. A generic USB hub and 2 USB Root things.

Also, for some reason, sometimes it's very slow to boot up and then screwy things happen like the start menu, Windows Explorer or My Computer stops working.

I just want a working computer ):

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:30 AM

Tried a USB 2.0 PCI card yet?

Your onboard USB could be faulty/damaged/etc.

I would go into Device Manager and uninstall all the USB controllers....then reboot and see if there is any improvement.

Louis

#3 interrobangs

interrobangs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 03:00 PM

Thank you!
I will look in to that.

If I uninstall all the USB device controllers, would I still be able to use my mouse and keyboard? I was afraid that if I did so I wouldn't be able to send any input to my computer and I would end up with a vegetable /:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 03:36 PM

Rebooting reinstalls those controllers.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users