Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where can i get 12,211 cubic feet of packing peanuts cheap?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 haun

haun

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 03:09 AM

For our senior prank in 2 years (this needs a head start), me and my friend thought of putting packing peanuts about 1 foot deep in the entire main hall (~12,211 square feet) and i was wondering if you guys had any ideas

Ok so i have done some searching and here are the results:

Main hall ~12211 cubic feet

uline.com: ~650 (20') bags @ $16,250 (~73.86 per person)

ashleydistributors.com: ~873 (14') @ $11,305.35 (~51.38 per person

or get them free from stores who would just dispose of them

~http://www.uline.com/BL_2003/Uline-Industrial-Peanuts

~http://www.ashleydistributors.com/cushioning.php

i would like to not to pay $10k for a senior prank. the cheaper and bigger the better, thanks

thanks guys for any help
Annnnd you're, asking, me...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:46 AM

:thumbsup:

You have to be Joking?

Get a Life, Mate!

:flowers: :trumpet:

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:31 AM

I agree with Abucus.

Packing peanuts are made with Polystyrene, which is petroleum based.
Styrene is a carcinogen. Yes there are a lot of things which are also carcinogen's, and what you want to do is expose
the people in your school to another one.

According to the EPA, "Short-term exposure to styrene can cause eye and mucous membrane irritation, and gastrointestinal harm". http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/hlthef/styrene.html The amount of these things you want to use could cause harm to someone else.

Then there is the fact that all those packing peanuts have to be disposed of. Most likely they will be tossed in the trash and end up in a landfill, where they will sit for a long time because styrofoam is slow to decompose-it could take 100 years or more before it decomposes.

#4 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:46 AM

:thumbsup:

Really upset them all?

Just put GreenPeace Stickers every where, all Free.

You could do the same with Democrate or Rebublican Stickers or all of them? That may give a more positive Message? Kids need to be Heard, but in a nice way? Use up the Waste from the Election?

:flowers: :trumpet:

Edited by Abacus 7, 16 August 2009 - 09:53 AM.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:27 AM

On the plus side I'm glad to see that you did indeed learn some things at your school, like how to calculate volume. As well as learn how to calculate cost per unit. So I have faith in our school system. But I do have some concerns that I don't think you factored into your over all plan.

Don't forget the cost of storing while collecting, and method of transporting said peanuts. Not to mention the arrest and charges with breaking and entering and willful criminal mischief. As well as the potential fine of having to pay for disposal of said peanuts.

Sure it sounds funny and like a harmless prank. But the cause and effect is what is far too often overlooked in the planning and implementation, of these types of acts.

Good luck with your plan.

And keep learning, it will be one of the most important things in your life.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:37 AM

Whatever happened to the greased pig in the hallway??
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 haun

haun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:02 AM

several things.

1) we can get in to the school without breaking in. our janitors would let us in. last years senior prank was zip tieing all the lockers shut. ALL of them. they had to be in at around 5 am to do that,

2) senior didnt get in trouble for anything, since it has to be authorized by school officials

3) We already have a place to store and a way to transport said peanuts

4) I dont think people are going to get lung cancer from of foot of packing peanuts on the , in fact my BIGGEST concern is that peopl in wheel chairs may have a problem. not cancer. last year all the prank stuff was gone by the first class

5) Although i didnt think of the disposal, we could buy bio-degradable peanuts for a few more bucks a cubic foot and just leave them out side, or craigs list them for a few bucks a cubic foot, or as my friend just said: i bet we could do this in college

side note: i get the impression you people think we are idiots, no. EVERY senior prank has to be coordinated with the janitors and the principal people.
this isnt my first walk around the prank block.

Edited by haun, 16 August 2009 - 11:07 AM.

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:23 AM

In terms of hazards, crutches and canes would have a worse time than wheel-chairs I think.

If you do decide to go through with it, how about sweeping all the packing peanuts up and taking them to the local recycling/reuse center? Our recycling center collects them for folks who wish to use them - so in fact the packing peanuts get reused.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 haun

haun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:25 AM

id totaly recycle them. they are quite useful (as see here)

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:35 AM

Maybe you did not see this in my previous post:

"Short-term exposure to styrene can cause eye and mucous membrane irritation, and gastrointestinal harm"

Even a few minutes of exposure is all that is needed.

You also said

my BIGGEST concern is that peopl in wheel chairs may have a problem

It seems you are advocating an additional barrier for those who use wheel chairs. It's not easy or fun to be in a wheel chair, yet you want to make things more difficult for them. Of course, with that many peanuts they won't be able to manuever their chairs down the hall. In fact, it will be hard to walk down the hall.

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,960 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:39 AM

It also occurs to me that you might be able to get a fair number from the reuse/recycling center to begin with. Of course if you are storing them for 2 years, that means that other folks can't use them.

A motto from Wisconsin: Reduce, reuse, recycle

Another note: There are folks who have chemical sensitivities. I know I can't stand the smell of Styrofoam. My dad wanted to keep a bunch of packing peanuts to use for insulation, but the smell alone was making me feel ill. Some of my friends become ill in the library because of the chemicals used in the carpeting and elsewhere in the building, so don't dismiss the health concerns posted here.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#12 haun

haun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:43 AM

new numbers
uline.com: [bio degradeable] ~1018 (12') bags @ $18,324.00 (~83.29 per person)

also the bio-degradable ones are made of corn starch,

also its not the people in wheel chairs will be angry with me that i was thinking would be the, it was that they would have a hard time getting around. Seeing as there are few people who are in wheel chair (one, and its electric) im not sure thats going to be much of a problem. still is my biggest.

#13 haun

haun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:50 AM

i am not. thats why we planned on only one foot, in the main hall, and not filling up the class rooms entirely (plus its cheaper)

this is only in the beginning stages, so we have time to figure stuff out.

I do understand that it can cause problems (health wise) which is why i am looking for input.
since bio-degradable is sometimes synonymous with hypo-allergenic we are looking for bio-degradable peanuts for less that $18 k total, we might as well buy a cheap car and put it in English hall

we are going to an art gallery soon to get some peanuts to do some testing (flammability, movement, and body reaction testing)

will be back soon

thanks for all the input.

#14 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,960 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:52 AM

uline.com: [bio degradeable] ~1018 (12') bags @ $18,324.00 (~83.29 per person)

+ shipping, + storage, + removing etc.

Sounds horribly expensive for a prank.

Don't forget, there may be folks on crutches. It can happen, and quite suddenly.

~ OB

Orange Blossom

#15 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 12:12 PM

An important thing to consider is the local fire code and safety code.
Hallways leading to exit doors must be uncluttered and clear so they can be used if there is an emergency requiring evacuation of the building.

Local officials could bring charges against you/the school leadership if they find out you have made it harder for people to get out of the building. And if something does happen, and people are injured or worse, criminal charges and civil lawsuits would be filed against you and the school adminstrators for allowing the prank.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 16 August 2009 - 01:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users