Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Not Recognizing Disc

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Joy R.

Joy R.

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:47 AM

I'm running Vista (XP was factory installed--I upgraded) on a Gateway desktop with the original factory internal DVD-ROM/CDRW drive. The drive opens fine when I push the button, but when I insert a disc, the computer doesn't recognize it. If I go into My Computer and double click the drive, I get the message "Please insert a disk into Drive" and it opens the tray again.

The computer definitely recognizes the drive, the driver is "up to date," and it insists the drive is "working properly", yet no matter what type of disc I put in it, I get the same message.

Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:32 AM

This happens on any, all disks you try? Both CD and DVD?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:52 AM

This could be a driver that has become corrupted, go into the Device Manager (Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Device Manager) and see if there are any red or yellow markings for the DVD drive. You might try deleting the drivers, when you reboot the installation wizard will recognize this as new hardware and will look for native drivers for it and assign these.

If this is happening with only a few of your disks it could be a media issue. Some drives still don't like to see certain types of media (disks).

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Joy R.

Joy R.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:20 PM

It does happen for any type of disc--CD-ROM, DVD, and even any blank CDR

I looked in the device manager and there are no red or yellow markings for the DVD drive. When I look at the properties of it, that's where it says "this device is working properly". I even deleted the drivers and when I rebooted, the computer recognized the device properly and re-installed the driver just fine, but still it doesn't recognize any disc.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:51 PM

Sorry but it sounds like it is time to buy a new optical drive.

#6 Joy R.

Joy R.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:01 PM

That's what I was afraid of.

The design of the Gateway tower makes that difficult. They have fancy silver casing that sticks out. I tried to see if I could take the casing off of the drive and attach it to a new drive, but it doesn't fit a standard drive. Very frustrating. I'll probably just have to get an external, unfortunately.

Thanks anyway for trying to help!

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:06 PM

The drive should be replaceable from the inside leaving the casing intact on the front faceplate.

Has been a while since I replaced a drive in an OEM case. But they all accept pretty much standard drives.

I do know there were many proprietary case designs though that caused you to have to buy from Dell, Gateway, etc. This may be your case.

#8 Joy R.

Joy R.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:14 PM

It can be pulled out from the front or the back, but either way, the faceplate comes with it. It can definitely be snapped off, but I tried putting it onto an older drive that I had and no go. So when I try to install another drive without that faceplace, it's not deep enough and leaves a space where I can literally see into the computer.

Very frustrating!

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:18 PM

Hate when that happens.

Looks like you either need to buy from Gateway or go with the external. Any chance the PC is still under warranty?

#10 Joy R.

Joy R.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:40 PM

I wish! In fact, the only reason I'm addressing the drive issue now is because I want to sell it and get a new one. It never really bothered me because I use my laptop for running or burning CD-ROMs.

I'll have to see how much Gateway charges. It might not even be worth it!

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:53 AM

One thing you could try since you are pretty much resigned to getting a new drive is; Open the drive drawer. This can be done either with the button if still connected to the power supply or most optical drives have a small hole on the front. A straightened out paperclip will fit into this hole and manually open the tray.

If you use a flashlight to look inside you should be able to see a small glass "bulb" or dome of sorts. This houses the laser that reads\writes to the disk. Overtime these may become covered with dust. A cue-tip just damp with alcohol can be used to reach in to clean it.

Allow it to dry completely then give it a try. No guarantees, but have seen this work on a few occasions.

#12 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:31 AM

try booting with a CD or DVD disc(windows xp install, vista install)
and if boots from that then its a vista problem

#13 Joy R.

Joy R.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:39 PM

I restarted it with the Vista upgrade disk in. How would I know if it used the disk to start? Should it have prompted me? Because it didn't...it seemed to boot up normally.

I'll try cleaning the laser to see if that works. Keep your fingers crossed for me :thumbsup:

Edited by Joy R., 17 August 2009 - 07:41 PM.

#14 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:45 PM

If no one has tweaked the BIOS settings then what you should have seen on start-up was the Vista install process. Since it started-up normally it does seem to point to a optical drive problem (failure).

#15 Joy R.

Joy R.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:00 PM

That's what I thought.

I tried cleaning the lens, and it was dirty, but even after I let it dry and re-started it, no luck.

Oh well, I was just hoping it was a software/OS issue or something since I've never had a drive randomly die like that for no apparent reason (especially with a computer that's only 2 1/2 years old). I guess it happens though. Thanks so much for all of your help; I really appreciate it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users