Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Hiya :) Great Site.. I Have Some Questions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CyberMom_*

Guest_CyberMom_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 February 2004 - 11:42 AM

How great having someone who can answer my questions... :thumbsup:

Now I dont have to ask my son about them.

I am a little confused about the differences between a Gif, Jpg, or a bitmap. I dont understand why i would use one over the other and so forht.

ALso what applications use which ? Can they be used in any application?

Last question is are they interchangeable? Can I use them in the same program shte same way?

Thanks

CM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2004 - 11:52 AM

Wow your our first post!!!!! Congrats.

Glad to have you join our little community, but we hope it will grow. Please feel free to tell all your friends and family about us.

Now to your questions,

A GIF, BMP (Bitmap), or a JPG (JPEG) are all image formats. That means they are all different file types that represent an image.

A GIF stands for Graphic Interchange Format and is a common format for image files that contain large areas of the same colors. Therefore if you are going to be making an image that is for example a logo that has a areas of the same color, then a GIF would be a good use for that type of image. GIF also has the advantage of being able to create small files so these are useful for websites.

A JPG, or Jpeg, is an image that can greatly compress the size so thats its small. This makes it highly suitable for websites as well. You will generally use jpg's when dealing with photographic images.

Bitmaps are an image format used a lot by Microsoft. They tend to be large files and are not suitable for Internet Web Sites.

Overall, I would stick to GIF's and JPG's for any image work.

It is possible to convert one image type into another image type by using a image editing application. Just open the image with the application and do save as and change the type your saving it as. This way you can change from JPG to GIF or viceversa. Thus they are interchangeable in that respect.

As for what applications can use them? Well any application that supports those types of image formats can open and use them. It really depends on the application.

Now that I am reading through what I just wrote, I see that this would make a pretty good tutorial. So look for that in the future.

Hope this helps.

#3 Guest_CyberMom_*

Guest_CyberMom_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 February 2004 - 11:58 AM

This is great stuff. Thanks for the info.

So for my website, images such as buttons and logos and things like that, that are mostly the same color i should do as gif's?

And any pictures or photos i put should be jpg?

CM

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 20 February 2004 - 12:03 PM

You got it!!! Isnt't it easy now that you understand the basic concepts as to what these types of images are used for?

Let me know if you have any more questions. WIll be happt to help.

And dont forget to tell people you know about us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users