Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

EXE Files Won't Run

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jcbrasel44

jcbrasel44

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:07 PM

Hello,

I've got a few problems with my laptop. I'm running Windows XP Professional. My antivirus software was recently removed because it was no longer current. Today, I purchased Norton 360 v3.0 and would like to install it. However, when I try to install the software from the disc, nothing happens. Nothing seems to run on my PC.

I've tried running the CDSTART.exe file from the disc as well. All that I can get to happen is a momentary C: window to pop up (blank) and then nothing...

I tried working with Norton directly through an online chat, but was eventually told that I had an operating system issue...My PC can't seem to run any executable files.

To make matters worse, every new web page that I go to causes a popup window (Windows Antivirus Pro) pops up telling me that "Internet Explorer is possibly injected with worm Backdoor.Win32.Hupigon.fixn. This worm attempts to send your personal information to remote host through internet explorer." It asks me to Activate Windows Antivirus Pro...for a fee.

Can anyone help? Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerNutjob

ComputerNutjob

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:47 PM

Yes, you are infected with Windows Antivirus Pro. Its symptoms are ramdon popups while using IE, Alerts, and being unable to run almost any program. Removal instructions are here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...s-antivirus-pro

Edited by ComputerNutjob, 15 August 2009 - 10:47 PM.

#3 jcbrasel44

jcbrasel44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:08 PM

Thank you for the reply. I do appreciate your help.

However, I am still having a few problems. I've downloaded the Malwarebytes program onto my desktop. However, I'm still having issues with my EXE files (mbam-setup.exe). It shows up on my desktop as an icon that I can't open.

Many of my existing icons now show up this way. i.e. Windows Media Player, Windows Messenger, Paint, Notepad, Calculator, etc. I can no longer open any of these applications.

Is there something else that I need to do?

Thanks again for your help.

#4 jcbrasel44

jcbrasel44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:50 AM

Thank you for the reply. I do appreciate your help.

However, I am still having a few problems. I've downloaded the Malwarebytes program onto my desktop. However, I'm still having issues with my EXE files (mbam-setup.exe). It shows up on my desktop as an icon that I can't open.

Many of my existing icons now show up this way. i.e. Windows Media Player, Windows Messenger, Paint, Notepad, Calculator, etc. I can no longer open any of these applications.

Is there something else that I need to do?

Thanks again for your help.

Bump...Can anyone help?

#5 jcbrasel44

jcbrasel44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:47 AM

I was able to get the icon for mbam-setup to appear correctly by doing the following:

1. I opened my Explore menu and selected "Folder Options" under Tools.
2. On the File Types tab, I noticed that EXE was not listed.
3. So, I added a New File Extension on EXE and used an Associated File Type of Application.
4. Then I clicked on "Restore" in the area below where it says that EXE Opens With desot.

My icon now shows up correctly, so I moved on to the instructions laid out by ComputerNutJob above. However...

After merging the Fixtm.reg data into my Registry, I right-clicked on the time and pulled up my Task Manager. My only problem is that when I clicked on my Processes tab, I didn't see "Windows Antivirus Pro.exe listed. Would it be listed as something else?

I did see svchast.exe, and I ended that process.

However, when I then clicked on the mbam-setup icon to download Malwarebytes, I have the same problem as I do with all of the programs on my desktop (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.)....I can't open them. I temporarily get a blank, black C: window to pop up and disappear. Then, nothing happens.

Please help!

Edited by jcbrasel44, 16 August 2009 - 09:49 AM.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:52 PM

I'm sorry your post was overlooked
If you still require help let's try this:

Some types of malware will disable Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it first.
  • Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file file and rename it to mysetup.exe.
  • Double-click on mysetup.exe to start the installation.
  • If that did not work, then try renaming and changing the file extension. <- click this link if you do not see the file extension
  • Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file, rename it to mysetup and change the .exe extension to .scr, .com, .pif, or .bat.
  • Then double-click on mysetup.scr (or whatever extension you renamed it) to begin installation.
If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files.
  • Right-click on mbam.exe, rename it to myscan.exe.
  • Double-click on myscan.exe to launch the program.
  • If that did not work, then try renaming and change the .exe extension in the same way as noted above.
  • Double-click on myscan.scr (or whatever extension you renamed it) to launch the program.
If using Windows Vista, refer to How to Change a File Extension in Windows Vista.

Be sure to update MBAM through the program's interface (preferable method) or manually download the definition updates and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Then perform a Quick Scan in normal mode and check all items found for removal. Don't forgot to reboot afterwards. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. When done, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the report in your next reply.

Note: MBAM uses Inno Setup instead of the Windows Installer Service to install the program. If installation fails in normal mode, try installing in safe mode. Doing this is usually not advised as MBAM is designed to be at full power when running in normal mode and loses some effectiveness for detection & removal when used in safe mode. For optimal removal, normal mode is recommended so it does not limit the abilities of MBAM. Therefore, after completing a scan it is recommended to uninstall MBAM, then reinstall it in normal mode and perform another Quick Scan.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users