Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Increase max tempreture? [[Please help]]

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 iWANTspam

iWANTspam

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:53 PM

I don't know if over heating belongs here but...
I have a dual boot computer...
When I run my computer in Vista OS it can run fine up to maybe 60'c or maybe hit 65'c if anything but it doesn't shut down.
When I run my computer in XP OS it runs to about 49' or 50' before it crashes... Whats the cause of this???
I have never posted anything about computers before... It's rather annoying to have to use Vista since it runs real slow.

Is there anything I can do to increse the max temp to 60'C on xp os?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:24 PM

An O/S has no impact on system temperatures. Both O/Ses use the same components.

What makes you think that your crashes are heat-related? Heat is only one of various things that can result in a crash and it normally doesn't leave any evidence that it caused the crash.

I would look elsewhere if I were trying to discern the cause of crashes....starting with Event Viewer and .dmp files.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

Louis

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:05 PM

Yes - I'm going to use the Mac word... :thumbsup:

I did a little reading and there seems to be consensus in the aluminum chassis Mac world that Vista runs hotter by several degrees than OS X in the same box.

Some Windows (and Mac) users users seem to like SpeedFan to monitor and adjust CPU fan speeds. Increase fan speed for Vista or just let SpeedFan adjust itself to keep the CPU temps about the same.

For XP vs. Vista, some folks notice that the temp on their CPU may go up slightly (3-5 c) with Vista, but the video card temps always seem to go up (2-4 c) with Vista. The theory is the more advanced 3D Vista graphics or some such...

Can Vista be made to run in a less graphically intense mode? Are you sure the reading is from the CPU and not graphics?

Some Windows users say after a while of idle, the Vista CPU cools down a couple degrees and levels off.

Some but not all of these people are overclockers.

It is most curious but I can't test anytime soon. If you can confirm think heat shuts it down and you have checked all the obvious, maybe SpeedFan will help you. Better fan, maybe some Prestone.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

I realize now that I have no idea what my CPU temp or fan speed is :flowers: Smokin'!

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users