Jump to content


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.


My Documents path name change

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 doresy


  • Members
  • 113 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Hampshire. UK.
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:08 PM

Hope this is the right place for this...

When I go into My Documents then onto, say, My Pictures the path in the address bar reads.....C:\Documents and Settings\Previous PC Owner\My Documents\My Pictures

Now is there a way to replace the previous owner of this laptop name with my own?

I have changed the owner name in the registry
Windows XP Home....Netgear DG834G wireless modem/router....ISP- AOL.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)


#2 Monty007


  • Members
  • 1,151 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:24 PM

Hi, this link from Tech Republic might be what you want http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-o...amp;tag=nl.e064

Edited by Monty007, 15 August 2009 - 05:25 PM.


#3 hamluis



  • Moderator
  • 56,298 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Killeen, TX
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:52 PM

While that link will change the registered owner...it won't change the My Docs folders names/paths.

I should say...I don't think that it will, those are tied to user profiles.

If I wanted to change that...I would create a new user account, give it my name...then move the user settings (Control Panel/User Profiles) from the old to my new account.

You treat the old user account as if it is corrupted/damaged, Copy Data from a Corrupted User Profile to a New Profile in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users