Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Serious problem? Msword98.exe? Malware?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
65 replies to this topic

#61 dbwhit

dbwhit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:24 AM

Well, I ran OTL cleanup...The items I saved to my desktop (DrWeb, fixthis.bat, SystemLook, gpe48396.exe, plus the scan logs), do I just delete these? Also on my desktop is a sys file Thumbs.db...delete?

UPDATE!

OK...PROBLEM...I THOUGHT I WAS BETTER THAN THIS!
I download a file, JRE, as you instructed, then removed existing Java, Rebooted...

Upon restart I noticed the downloaded file "1251391611724-integrated.jnlp" has no program associated w it. I returned to http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp to download again, of course now Im not running Java "I was concerned"...

I know see the file should've been something like jre-1_6_0_01-windows-i586.exe, but my file wasn't close. I continue to download page where I see this.

We were unable to detect a recent version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) on your system. With the latest JRE, you can automatically download, install, and run Sun Download Manager (SDM) directly from this page. We highly recommend SDM to easily manage your downloads (pause, resume, restart, verify, and more). Visit java.com for the latest JRE.

I went to the Sun Download Manager (SDM) page (using IE now) & attempted to download SDM where I choose "windows" > my "active-x (?) bar at top activated, I clicked it & choose "download file"...page refreshes w no install confirmation > go back to download page where I again see this.

We were unable to detect a recent version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) on your system. With the latest JRE, you can automatically download, install, and run Sun Download Manager (SDM) directly from this page. We highly recommend SDM to easily manage your downloads (pause, resume, restart, verify, and more). Visit java.com for the latest JRE.

Edited by dbwhit, 27 August 2009 - 01:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#62 kahdah

kahdah

• Security Colleague
  • 11,138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:10 PM

Well, I ran OTL cleanup...The items I saved to my desktop (DrWeb, fixthis.bat, SystemLook, gpe48396.exe, plus the scan logs), do I just delete these? Also on my desktop is a sys file Thumbs.db...delete?

The programs I had you download you can delete.
The thumbs.db is a hidden file to get rid of it do this:
  • Click Start.
  • Open My Computer.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View Tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Do not Show hidden files and folders.
  • Check the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK
For the Java error try to run the below program then after running it try to re-install the Java update.

Please download JavaRa to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
  • Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
  • Accept any prompts.
  • Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
  • Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button. Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

Please do not pm for help, post it in the forums instead.

If I am helping you and have not responded for 48 hours please send me a pm as I don't always get notifications.

My help is always free, however, if you would like to make a donation to me for the help I have provided please click here Posted Image

#63 dbwhit

dbwhit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:24 PM

Okay...All complete! :thumbup2: :) :) That everything?

#64 kahdah

kahdah

• Security Colleague
  • 11,138 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:15 AM

That is it.

If I am helping you and have not responded for 48 hours please send me a pm as I don't always get notifications.

My help is always free, however, if you would like to make a donation to me for the help I have provided please click here Posted Image

#65 dbwhit

dbwhit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:46 AM

Many thanks my frien, many thanks....You were PROFESSIONAL & PATIENT

#66 kahdah

kahdah

• Security Colleague
  • 11,138 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:11 PM

You are welcome :thumbup2:

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If your the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact me via pm with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users