Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unused USB and Unrecgonized Device

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JackRipperz

JackRipperz

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:27 PM

I don't know why, but my laptop, (Or my dad's laptop, which is an IBM. The ones that office workers use) is always popping up messages like USB Device Not Regconized.

I'll tell you something, before, there were 3 functional USB ports then one night, a thunder storm zapped the entire town. The laptop when came back to life, was a bit topsy turvy. Also, 2 out of 3 USB ports are now dysfunctional because of it. At first, there wasn't a lot of messages saying about the USB ports, but now it's popping up more frequently.

So can anyone help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:33 PM

You can try this. But IMO, sounds like it is having motherboard issues from the voltage surge\outage it probably took if it was in use when the town got zapped.

When you install a device driver on a Windows XP machine, the operating system loads that driver each time the computer boots regardless of whether the device is present—unless you specifically uninstall the driver. This means that drivers from devices that you have long since removed from your system may be wasting valuable system resources.

Follow these steps to view and remove these unnecessary device drivers:

1. Press [Windows]+[Break] to bring up the System Properties dialog box.
2. Select the Advanced tab and click the Environment Variables button.
3. Click the New button below the System Variables panel.
4. In the New System Variable dialog box, type devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices in the Variable Name text box and 1 in the Variable Value text box.
5. Click OK to return to the System Properties dialog box and then click OK again.
6. Select the Hardware tab and click the Device Manager button.
7. In Device Manager, go to View | Show Hidden Devices.
8. Expand the various branches in the device tree and look for the washed out icons, which indicate unused device drivers.
9. To remove an unused device driver, right-click the icon and select Uninstall.

A suggestion, remove only USB devices and USB root hubs. If this does help I will be pleasantly surprised.

#3 JackRipperz

JackRipperz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:55 AM

Well, I tried but the message said "Failed to uninstall. The device may be required to boot the computer."

Maybe it is the motherboard, but for now, I clicked on "Disable" on the devices. Further advice please?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users