Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop keyboard causing probs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bradius80

Bradius80

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:01 AM

Last night, my wife spilled a little coke on the keyboard of her Compaq Presario CQ60. At first, a few keys stopped working altogether, then after a while a few of them were acting as if stuck or being held down. After attempting to turn the computer off and back on, it now no longer starts up. All we get is a flashing cursor at the top left of the screen, and after about 10 secs a continous beep code that's really loud. At first I thought the entire computer was buggered, but I noticed the edge of the keyboard was raised off the case as if it had been pried open once before (we bought a demo model, stupid i know but it was all we could afford at the time) and when I lifted it up and the keyboard came away from the case, the computer ran fine like that.
As soon as I reassembled the keyboard though, it went back to not starting up properly and giving the continous beep code.

If anyone knows what exactly might be causing this problem and how/whether i could fix it at home without shelling out loads of cash for a tech guy to repair it, please let me know asap. We can't take it back to the store for repair as apparently the warranty does not cover accidental damage and they'd notice the coke stains on the plastic sheet under the keyboard, so we can't just say its faulty.

NOTE: Before anyone suggests these things, I have tried them already...while I had the keyboard lifted off I gave it a thorough once over with a hair dryer on low to dry up any remaining liquid, and have also checked every key individually to see if it appears stuck in, but all the keys are bouncing back perfectly.

EDIT: At this point i dont think there's any hardware issues in regards to the hard drive, graphics or motherboard. I had a good look under a very bright halogen torch and no liquid appears to have made it through the plastic under the keyboard to the main hardware areas.

Edited by Bradius80, 15 August 2009 - 11:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:59 PM

when I lifted it up and the keyboard came away from the case, the computer ran fine like that.
As soon as I reassembled the keyboard though, it went back to not starting up properly and giving the continous beep code.

My guess would be that the drink got into the connector on the board where the keyboard ribbon goes
Just be careful, they can be rather fragile
Depending on the type of the connection used, you will have to lift up or push out some tabs on the side to remove the ribbon
Then clean the ribbon end and the connection with a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Bradius80

Bradius80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:38 PM

Thanks for the tip. I didn't feel comfortable digging around in a laptop (desktops I know, laptops i'm a bit iffy about) so we took it back to the store. Apparently it turned out the keyboard was dodgy from someone tampering with it in-store so they've sent it on to HP for a free repair. Only downside is we apparently have to wait up to 8 weeks to get it back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users