Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Erratic Mouse Behavior

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DarkLiter

DarkLiter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:38 AM

Yesterday my mouse started acting really stupid, locking up, not moving, the sort of thing. I spent awhile trying to deal with it I ran out of ideas.

It's an HP ps2 optical wired mouse. HP.com have no updated drivers for it. When it stopped working, i uninstalled it from Device Manager, rebooted and upon start up it went insane. Clicking everything, zooming around the screen, that sort of thing. Sometimes it works, Sometimes it doesn't. Right now I can move it, but occasionally it locks up. It's receiving power all the time because the laser light stays on. Sometimes the computer doesn't even see the mouse is plugged in, although the light remains on.

I've read the mouse could be dirty, however, if that were the case...why would the computer fail to recognize it's plugged in? I've never had a problem with it until yesterday. Is this one just ready to be replaced? Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:05 PM

I usually just replace a mouse or keyboard...I find little gained by fooling with either once new drivers have been tried and cleaning the device does nothing. And the replacements work flawlessly :thumbsup:, I always like that verification that the device was the problem.

And I have several of each lying around, so it's easy.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users