Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cookie managment question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 17 July 2005 - 09:51 AM

I read somewhere how to keep selected cookies when you delete cookies, but i can't find that info now. i just need that info at your convenience please. - Keith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2005 - 10:24 AM

Which cookies you retain more or less depends on whether you trust the source, and whether these appear to be useful tools to enhance your visit to their sites. If you use FF or Mozilla as your default browser, both have cookie managers that allow you to review and delete selected cookies. If you use IE, then you must look in the Windows file called Cookies, and delete selected ones from there.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2005 - 11:36 AM

Thanks John - I just had a new computer built and they insisted using FF instead of IE . So.. i'm just learing about FF and I will find the cookies manager in there. I appreciate the info. The reason i wanted to save some cookies is if I understand this correctly, -- for instance if i keep the cookie for Bleeping Computer i won't have to log in every time i visit - is this correct? thank you - Keith

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2005 - 11:55 AM

Since you use Firefox,Keith, you have easy access to your cookies at any time.
Your example of BC is correct; this applies to many sites(Yahoo, for example, to set your unique page). Other cookies retain information that saves you time. For example, when I check the ads for certain companies, cookies will direct me to adds for my locale by a zip code stored in a cookie.
I require sites to get permission to set cookies, and then review them periodically: Tools/Options/Privacy/Cookies/ then click on "view cookies." You can, alternatively, allow applications like Ad-AwareSE review and recommend spyware cookies for deletion; they will generally leave legitimate cookies alone.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 17 July 2005 - 11:56 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2005 - 02:23 PM

Thanks John. you have given me all the info i needed. i'm ready to get busy. Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users