Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaned Pc and now some things are not working

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Shaunn

Shaunn

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:04 AM

Hey boopme ~

I've deleted the quarantined items from Symantec AntiVirus. My computer is running much better now as far as the viruses are concerned.

Here's where I'm still having trouble:

1) There is no sound on my computer. There used to be, but now there isn't. It disappeared at the same time the viruses showed up.

2) Quick Time doesn't function properly. It showes nothing except the outline of the box where the video should be.

I've tried to re-download the program, and it tells me that I need to remove the original program first.

* When I go to the Quick Time program from the Start Menu, and click on "Uninstall Quick Time", the response I get is, "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed."

* When I try to remove it from "Add/Remove Programs", the response I get is, "The older version of Quick Time cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group" .

* If I try to open Quick Time from the Programs List, the response I get is, "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click 'OK' to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'Quick Time.msi' in the box below."

3) When I reboot the computer, one of the boxes that opens up says, "Earthlink Accelerator Login". Whatever it is, it won't let me log in.

* Is this something I need? If not, how do I get rid of it?

4) When I reboot the computer, one of the boxes that opens up says, "Found New Hardware". It's a PCI Communications Controler.

** Note: I'm almost certain that this is in relation to my removing the US Robotics program for the dial-up modem. I removed it because I'm hooked up to DSL, but in hind-sight, I should have just left it alone. I have DSL now, but I think the dial-up modem should work properly in case I ever need to use it.

* When I follow the wizard, I'm not successful in finding any software to make the hardware run. I don't have the needed disk, so I try the "Windows Update Web Site", and nothing is found.

5) And then just a question -- What is "Tea Time"? I see it running sometimes and it slows down the computer while it's doing its' thing. Do I need it? If it's a good thing, then I won't mind it.

OK...that's it for now.

As always, thanks for your help.
Shaunn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:51 AM

Aii topic is here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...view=getnewpost
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:21 PM

MOD Bump :thumbsup:

Oh TeaTimer is a function in SpyBot.
TeaTimer works by preventing ANY changes to the system. It will attempt to undo any fixes we run, because it blocks these fixes from running.
To Disable it....
In order to safeguard your system from problems that can be brought on by a half finished fix, we need to disable TeaTimer. We can reenable it when we're done if you like.
  • Open SpyBot Search and Destroy by going to Start -> All Programs -> Spybot Search and Destroy -> Spybot Search and Destroy.
  • If prompted with a legal dialog, accept the warning.
  • Click Posted Image and then on "Advanced Mode"
    Posted Image
  • You may be presented with a warning dialog. If so, press Posted Image
  • Click on Posted Image
  • Click on Posted Image
  • Uncheck this checkbox:
    Posted Image
  • Close/Exit Spybot Search and Destroy

Edited by boopme, 23 August 2009 - 11:24 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Shaunn

Shaunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:42 AM

Hello,

Ok...TeaTimer is now off.

What next?

Shaunn

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:04 AM

For a start, try running chkdsk /r.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (with space between k and /) and hit Enter. Type Y in response to onscreen query and hit Enter.

Reboot the system, the command will execute before it boots into XP...it will automatically boot into XP when command has executed fully.

Then...take a look in Device Manager (Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter) for any indications (yellow/red markings) that there are hardware driver problems.

Louis

#6 Shaunn

Shaunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:40 AM

Hi Louis,

Ok, I've done as you directed. There is a problem that came up:

In Device Manager, "?"--"Other Devices",
it says, "?"--"PCI Simple Communications Controller".

What next?

FYI - I was instructed to turn "Tea Timer" off by boopme. I noticed that after I rebooted, it was running in "Windows Task Manager". Should I turn it off again?

Thank-you for your help.

Shaunn

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:40 AM

Hmm...if you turned it off, it should not be reflected in the processes listed in Task Manager.

I have Spybot installed (I always disable/elect not to run Tea Timer) and I don't have it showing as a process.

I also just noticed that I don't have a Tool button...I imagine this is because I decline to install either of the items listed upder Boopme's sub-listings for such.

What version of Spybot do you have installed?

In any case...I suggest uninstalling your current Spybot and then installing version 1.6.2 from http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html. Your current install of Spybot may be damaged and not functioning properly. This time...when you install it, do not elect Tea Timer as an installed option.

PCI Simple Communications Controller...probably should be an onboard dialup modem with no driver installed...but read the following: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/77E...625726000070545

If, in fact, it is a dialup modem which you don't/won't use because you have a broadband connection...I suggest simply disabling it in the BIOS.

Louis

#8 Shaunn

Shaunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:42 AM

Hi Louis ~

1) I uninstalled Spybot and re-installed it as you suggested. I did not install TeaTimer, yet it is still running in Windows Task Manager. I don't understand why. :thumbsup:

2) Regarding the PCI Simple Communications Controller issue. I followed the link you supplied and followed their directions to determine the Vendor and Device ID. * See Below:

"You are likely receiving this error because you have not installed the driver for your PCI device. To determine which device you need to install the driver for, you can follow the steps below:
1.Right-click on the entry in Device Manager and select Properites
2.In the Details tab, there should be an entry such as PCI\VEN_1093&DEV_70B8&
3.This indicates the Vendor and Device ID of your PCI device. In the above example, the VEN would be 1093 and DEV would be 70B8
4.You can look up your device online on sites such as www.PCIDatabase.com. The Above VEN and DEV values give the following result:"

I followed the link they supplied in #4 (above). www.PCIDatabase.com

* That website does not supply drivers, but they do offer a link to a website that does.
drivers on-line

This website is pretty cool. I downloaded their program to scan my computer to determine what drivers I need to update. It turns out that I need 10 updated drivers, 6 of which are for "connected devices". The only problem is that in order to retrieve the drivers, I have to purchase their product. That, I can't do any time soon.

These are the 6 drivers I need.

* Sound, video and game controllers - Intel® 8280 1BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller

* Printers - HP Deskjet 840C/841C/842C/843C

* Network adapters - 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible)

* Display adapters - Intel® 82815 Graphics Controller (Microsoft Corporation)

* Modems - PCI Simple Communications Controller

* Monitors - Plug and Play Monitor

3) Although I do have DSL, I would like to have the dial-up modem in working order. There's no telling if I might need it to work in the future.

* FYI - The most important thing to me is to fix the Audio Controller first. My son will kill me if the sound doesn't miraculously reappear. :flowers:

Thanks,
Shaunn

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:05 AM

Sorry for my lack of response...but when I run out of ideas, I just sit back and wait for someone else to throw out their own ideas.

System manufacturer and model? All the drivers that you need for this system...should be available at the respective website of the system manufacturer.

I can't suggest anything other than what I have already...but I will make the comment that...there is no need to update drivers which are properly working.

I've never understood why users resort to a 2-stage approach (install another program, which, in turn, is supposed to install drivers perfectly) when installing drivers is a 1-stage operation (user downloads driver, installs).

But I don't believe that any driver needs to be "updated" simply because a more recent driver has been produced.

Consequently, I recommend that users take the same approach to "updating drivers" as they should take to suggestions made by well-intentioned persons regarding "updating the BIOS"...don't, if the system and system functions are working properly.

In the event of functions which aren't working properly...my tactic is to simply uninstall all drivers for said function...ensure that I have the proper driver for my system and the system function...and then install same.

I go to Device Manager...scroll down the list until I find the function (in your case, Sound, Video, & Game Controllers...double-click on anything looking like the device (AC 97)...select the Driver tab...and click Uninstall. I never select Update because I don't believe that drivers always update properly when files are damaged. I uninstall...then I normally reboot the system.

If I get prompted by Windows for a driver upon reboot, I ignore it. I let the system settle, then install the driver files.

A guide has been prepared, note that I don't do it the way suggested...but I don't have driver problems :thumbsup:.

How to update a Windows hardware driver - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-update-a-windows-hardware-driver/

<<I did not install TeaTimer, yet it is still running in Windows Task Manager.>>

Well, someone installed it. It's part of the default installation package and users must elect not to install it.

More info on how it starts and how to stop it.

FWIW: Monitors normally don't require drivers from an external source.

Hope this helps :flowers:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users