Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help I'm receiving an odd blue screen at startup

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 brymor110

brymor110

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:33 AM

Hi guys I'm Bryon, this is my first post so I'm not sure if I placed this in the appropriate forum or not, I apoligize :flowers:

After coming home from work yesterday, I began to boot up my desktop, and on the windows xp loading screen my computer stopped and goes onto this blue screen stating "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer". The error code for this is "0x00000024".

So when I first saw this message I thought a simple restart would suffice. However, after multiple attempts at a reboot the screen continued to occur. I decided to first call my local Geeksquad. Besides some basic tips, they couldnt offer me any form of assistance unless I payed their standard $129.99 diagnostic rate. I decided to attempt to do it myself (with some help from the internet of course :D).

The first and most repeated solution I saw was to attempt a System Recovery with the Windows XP disc. Not too sure if it makes a difference, but my recovery disc is not actual Windows XP but an eMachines disc provided with the desktop. I reconfigured my BIOS so that the CD drive was first priority and attempted a Recovery startup, but as soon as the disc began to run i received another error this one saying "File \minint\system32\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. The error code is 14".

Also not sure if this matters, but prior to this problem i had been receiving messages that my system memory was low and at a couple of points critically low, as low as 2 MB when the required amount was 200 MB. I had deleted multiple programs but still continued to get the message and a slow computer. I browsed through different websites before signing up on here, because the advice offered on this website seemed extremely helpful and easier to understand, and all of the forum messages were clear and friendly. So please tell me you can help me!

Thanks a lot :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:43 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

What model emachines system (e.g., T1234, etc.)?

The typical explanation for the error reported:

0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

<<The first and most repeated solution I saw was to attempt a System Recovery with the Windows XP disc.>>

I interpret that as a suggestion to do a repair install. The Recovery Console does not provide the ability to do a system recovery, it only provides the ability to correct some types of errors.

A repair install replaces any missing/damaged system files, while keeping data and programs installed intact.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

One of the things which can be done from Recovery Console is to attempt to run the chkdsk /r command (which is a suggested attempt to overcome whatever is wrong), as reflected in the general guidance above.

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

In the event that chkdsk is unable to complete, write down any error message and post same here. There could be hard drive problems which are interpreted as NTFS problems.

You might go over whatever references eMachine supplied for using the disk which accompanied the system.

Louis

#3 brymor110

brymor110
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:03 PM

Thanks so much for replying
I have a moded T3406 :D

So, I first tried doing the XP recovery. When i pressed enter to go to the Windows setup it just brought me to a page that said "We are sorry but Windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer".

Then i tried to do the Recovery Console, but before i could even get to a command bar, at the point when it says the recovery console is loading, i received an error message that the File \minint\system32\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded

Gosh i dont know what to do this is terrible :thumbsup: but i am not able to run any kind of scan or chckdisc or even load the system recovery disc :flowers:
please help!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:24 PM

Well...it seems that the minit error comes about because the Recovery Console on your disks is not the same as the XP CD Recovery Console.

There's a way around that, you can download an .iso file of the RC and burn it to CD...and then boot to that and thereby access the Recovery Console.

Download Recovery Console, Bootable ISO - http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

To burn this file onto CD and transform it...you can use Active@ ISO Burner - http://www.ntfs.com/iso_burner_free.htm , a program that's easy enough to use that I like it :thumbsup:.

Once you get the bootable CD, boot into the Recovery Console. When asked to indicate the Windows install, type 1 and hit Enter. If prompted for a password, just hit Enter.

On the first line that looks like it's waiting for a command (after the two previous), type chkdsk /r (space between k and /) and hit Enter.

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

And remember...this is just the first stage of attempts to correct whatever is wrong, it's not a guaranty of any sort.

Louis

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:28 PM

FWIW: User guide for system, http://downloads.emachines.com/userguides/...serGuide_en.pdf

How much RAM is currently installed?

How large is current C: partition? How much free space in current C:?

Louis

#6 brymor110

brymor110
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:04 PM

well of course no guarantees but i really appreciate someone even trying!

ummm i know im going to sound dumb, but how exactly do i check the things you mentioned in your last reply? the RAM and such...?

and i burned that CD im trying to run it on my desktop currently. However when i typed R to go into the Recovery Console it has now been sitting on a page that says "Examining 76317 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi...". So idk what that means!! :thumbsup: help me please louis.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:30 PM

Hmmm...that error message...strengthens the idea that your hard drive may have problems.

If something prevents/impedes the Recovery Console from working properly, it's a problem.

To check info on your system, there are various places you can look.

My Computer/Explorer displays hard drive size and free space data.

Start/Run...type msinfo32 (and hit Enter) and you will see a lot of data about your system (just in case you want to explore it). The last line reflected in the right window (without scrolling) reflects RAM installed (Total Physical Memory).

We all had to learn these things at some time...in order to be able to pass them on...so don't fret about such :thumbsup:. The universe is full of things we don't know at one moment, then...that amount is reduced slightly by what we learn in a day.

Louis

#8 brymor110

brymor110
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:43 PM

uhoh how do i check my harddrive?

well i dont think i can check those things bc i have no way to get to the start menu since my computer stops me halfway through booting :thumbsup: so are there any alternative methods for it?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:15 PM

Those things are secondary, maybe even tertiary in importance :thumbsup:.

Right now...I suggest you look at your hard drive and then download the appropriate diagnostic for it...then run the long/extended test for that drive.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users