Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Boot failure

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PRB

PRB

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:52 AM

Hi

I hope a member can help me with this problem. I recently bought a new 256 MB AGP card to replace a 64 MB version. As the first step of the installation process I deleted the existing NVIDIA drivers via Add/Remove programs. When I rebooted, the BIOS screen and POST test worked OK but immediately after the Windows logo, the blue screen check disk process started. Having run to 100% and the summary of bytes, no further progress is made. The screen simply hangs. I've tries starting in safe mode (but just get a monochrome screen full of code) and I've been into the BIOS to see if I can make any changes that will cure the problem. So far to no avail.

The operating system is XP Home. The motherboard is an ASUS A7M266.

Any suggestions most welcome. Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:35 AM

Try running the chkdsk /r (space between the k and /) command from the XP Reccovery Console.

The fact that the 3-stage chkdsk initiated with boot...indicates a problem with file structure/hard drive. The chkdsk /r command will attempt to correct this and is more thorough than the 3-stage chkdsk initiated by XP at boot.

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

When prompted for a password, just hit Enter.

Louis

#3 PRB

PRB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 06:05 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply Louis. I did as you suggested and at the end of the process I got the message "CHKDSK found and fixed one or more errors on the volume." There was then a summary the KBs and allocation units etc and finally the command prompt "C:\Windows>. I typed "exit" and the computer rebooted fine as far as the Widows logo screen - then the screen went completely blank (ie black - not blue). Any suggestions for next steps? Your help is much appreciated. Paul

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:14 AM

On the black screen...is the cursor flashing in the upper left corner?

Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

If it is...go back into the Recovery Console...and this time run the command fixmbr. A warning message will display, just affirm that you want to run the command. After it is complete, type EXIT and see if anything new occurs at boot.

Louis

#5 PRB

PRB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 02:49 PM

Thanks Louis. No - there is no blinking cursor: the screen is totally blank. Paul

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 03:28 PM

From the Recovery Console, I would try the fixmbr command anyway...or the fixboot command, if fixmbr doesn't do the trick.

And if that doesn't work, maybe the bootcfg /rebuild command.

If that doesn't work, then I would think it time to run a diagnostic on the hard drive in question.

Louis

#7 PRB

PRB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:44 AM

Thanks again Louis. Those options didn't work either. I'll now go down the diagnostic route as you suggest. Many thanks again for your time and trouble. Paul

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:03 AM

Keep us posted :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users