Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Booting from external DVD drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tom_h1991

tom_h1991

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:39 AM

Hi Guys,

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L10 (yeah, a bit old). I recently decided that I wanted to reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows XP Home. However my CD/DVD drive is currently out of action and has been for some time. So, I decided to buy an external DVD drive so that I could reinstall XP using that.

Before I did however, I checked to make sure that my BIOS could boot from USB. So, I entered my memory stick into my laptop. In the 'Boot' section, under 'HDD' was my USB stick, so I thought "Great! I should be able to boot from an external DVD drive".

I bought an LG 20x External Super Multi DVD Rewriter which connects via USB. I plugged it into my laptop and it worked fine without having to install any of the software that was provided with it.

So, before I started the whole reformat process, I checked to see that I could actually boot from this external drive and I inserted the Toshiba Recovery Disk that was provided with my laptop. However, when I went to the 'Boot' section again, my external drive was not there.

And that brings me up to my problem. How do I boot from this external DVD drive? The only suggestion I have tried was one I saw on a website which was to change the boot priorities to CD/DVD, but this did not work for me and my laptop started up as usual.

Any help much appreciated,

Tom.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:48 AM

The wording in BIOS options is a bit different from manufacturer to manufacturer so my suggestions may seem a bit vague. Sorry.

Even though your BIOS see`s the device it does not mean it can\will boot from it.

A couple of things to check. 1)When you first start up the machine there may be other options beside "press XX to enter set-up (BIOS)". It may offer an option to "change boot order" or start-up order. If not then 2)With in the BIOS there may be similar options available on one of the other screens that you will need to change to. At the bottom or side of the first screen that comes up in BIOS will be instructions on what key to press to change pages and change values with in those pages. Usually the + or - key and or the arrow keys, and or the pg up and pg dn keys.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:42 AM

Also...look for something in the BIOS akin to "legacy boot from USB" and ensure that it allows such.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users