Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

which Modem to buy for my laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 g.ryan

g.ryan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:51 AM

I am planing to take MTNL broadband connection, for which i need to take modem,
my laptop configuration is :
sony vgn-cs14G/B, 2.2. Ghz, 32 bit OS,
internal modem HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP, Name: HUAWEI Mobile Connect - 3G Modem
250 GB HDD
Windows vista home premium.

Please suggest me which modem I should buy, that will be good, fast and stable connectivity.

Regards,

Ryan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:56 AM

Ethernet
Ethernet 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX con interfaz RJ-45

Your computer has an Ethernet port for Broadband Internet. It also has a built in 56k Dial up modem and USB support this should cover all internet connections unless your provider requires a special modem like a VOIP (think Vonage)
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 g.ryan

g.ryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:56 AM

I am not very conservant with computer hardware, but need to know what is dsl, cpe, while i was going thorugh the plan of broadband there they have mentioned this. Can you please clarify that these means.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:38 PM

DSL = Digital Subscriber Line CPE= Customer Premise Equipment, Usually the ISP (internet service Provider) provides the modem (or CPE) for you to use. What they may be asking is for you to purchase a DSL modem. In that case you need to find out your connection speed and in find a modem that matches it.

DSL technologies
The line-length limitations from telephone exchange to subscriber impose more restrictions on higher data-transmission rates. Technologies such as VDSL provide very high speed, short-range links as a method of delivering "triple play" services (typically implemented in fiber to the curb network architectures). Technologies likes GDSL can further increase the data rate of DSL. Fiber Optic technologies exist today that allow the conversion of copper based IDSN, ADSL and DSL over fiber optics.

Example DSL technologies (sometimes called xDSL) include:

Reference: Wikipedia
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users