Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot identify a button on my new computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cristy13

Cristy13

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:34 AM

I bought a new HP Notebook PC, Model #G50-133US, if anyone is familiar with this particular model, there is a button directly in front of the keyboard, above the touchpad, which clicks SOMETHING on and off, but I can't figure out what! There is a lighted indicator above the button which consists of 5 dots; it glows white when on and red when off. It doesn't seem to make any difference whether it is on or off, but I can't be sure of that unless I know what it is for. Any advice will be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,786 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:48 AM

Does it turn the touchpad off, so you don't get accidental cursor actions when a mouse is attached?
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:04 AM

Not easy to track down Cristy, but it may be your MediaSmart on/off button, if you have that-

This document pertains to HP Notebook PCs using Windows Vista This document provides an overview of the MediaSmart entertainment software and its various applications. For more detailed information on each of the MediaSmart applications, select Start , type MediaSmart and select MediaSmart Help from the list supplied. Using MediaSmart To start MediaSmart:
  • Click Start , type MediaSmart and select MediaSmart from the list supplied.
  • Some HP notebooks come with a MediaSmartPosted Image button located on the touch-sensitive control strip. If your computer is so equipped, you can start MediaSmart by touching the button.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 Cristy13

Cristy13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:07 PM

That's it, Platypus, thanks! I had never turned it off or used a mouse with it, so I had no idea until I tried it just now and voila! I'm a novice at computing, as you can probably tell lol.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,786 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:59 AM

No worries, sometimes you guess lucky... ;)
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users