For the last month or two now a random, annoying sound has been emitted from my speakers / headphones on occasion - with a frequency ranging randomly between every few seconds to every tens of minutes / hours. I can't really quantify the sound, but its most similar to the "friend online" sound emitted by MSN Messenger (though slightly shorter and with a more muted / fussy / grey quality).
Here's what I know about it:
- Under my sound manager ("Realtek HD Audio Manager"), I have three systems listed: "Speakers" , "Realtek Digital Output", and "Realtek HDMI Output" - each of which has one of those sound bars that spikes green bars with varying sound levels. The sound promotes a green bar spike under the "Speakers" category only.
- The sound is not one of the system sounds of the "Windows Default" sound scheme (I've tried playing every one, and none sound similar).
- The sound occurs even when I switch the Sound Scheme from "Windows Default" to "No Sounds".
- The sound tends to be emitted most when I am on the internet or on Microsoft Word, though I tend to spend most of my time on these applications - a more accurate saying might be that the sound tends not to be emitted when I am watching movies on Media Player.
- The sound does not seem to be related to MSN, since it occurs when I have exited the program completely (I rarely use the program as it is).
- I thought it may have something to do with the wireless capability of my laptop, but the "Notification of New Networks" and "Activity Animation" functions are both turned off.
- The volume of the noise is not affected by volume control (i.e. it sounds the same regardless of whether my speakers are high or low).
Is there a way to record speaker sounds? I tried doing so with my Audio Manager, but it apparently only records Microphone input. If so, let me know and I can post a sound file of the sound.
Here are my specs:
Windows Vista Home Premium
ASUS M50SV Series Notebook
Intel Core 2 Duo T9300
3 GB RAM
250 GB HD
802.11abgn + BT Wireless
NVIDIA GeForce 9500M GS Video Card
Sound Systems: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio), Realtek HDMI Output (Realtek High Definition Audio), Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio) - all of which are controlled by the single driver "RTKVHDA.sys" and all of which appear to be working normally.
Any ideas you have would be greatly appreciated!
Also, I know pretty much for sure that this isn't a malware problem, as I've already run all my HJT/etc. logs through that board on this forum.
(See topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic244998.html)
Thanks in advance for the help!!