Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Attempting to reformat

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 S.D. Milli

S.D. Milli

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:17 AM

So I reformatted my old Dell Dimension 2400 PC. After I did I left it for about 1 month, hooked it up and downloaded a torrent (obviously where I messed up). After I made sure it was all set up I shut the computer down so I could move it. I did, turned it back on and this came up -
"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows_root>\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file."

I don't know exactly what that means (I'll be honest), so I just decided I might as well just reformat it again. So I pop the operating system CD in and nothing happens. I restart it and attempt to boot it off the CD and it says something like "Hit f1 to retry boot, hit f2 to go to setup" and never works after retrying.

Not sure if anyone knows what a good solution would be, but any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jrvic15

jrvic15

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:57 AM

is your Oss windows Xp?

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:58 AM

Are you sure your computer is set to boot off the CD before HDD in the system BIOS?
It may be that your OS CD has become damaged or your CD drive is not recognizing it.
You should check your CD drive by inserting another bootable CD that you may have like linux cd etc, and see if you can boot off it.
You should check your Windows XP cd by trying it in another computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users