Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

About:Blank is worthy adversary

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 sallyb

sallyb

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 17 July 2005 - 05:11 AM

I have monitored this site for some time....and have used solutions provided to good advantage. But, each time I battle "About:Blank" and win, it adapts and is now playing a better chess game than me. I do have to admit I"m beginning to admire this little demon for its ability to morph - and learn from its prior weaknesses.

I am using windows SE, IE 6. Recently,I added foxfire, and was using it but stopped when it seemed slower than IE. I don't know how I continue to periodically pick up this nasty little hitchhiker but ,anyway, ITS BACK.

In the past, I have been able to eliminate this bug with Ad-awareSE software. Now, when I use it, it interferes with the "delete"action when I go from the "quarantine" to delete button to get rid of the mal-ware. Furthermore, I am also running Norton's Symantec which has protected me in the past. When I use it now to scan and list all the malware it does so....but now I click on the "anti-virus" section to update and use it for problem ...but it starts jumping up and down to prevent me clicking on it. So, this demon is again freezing up the operation of my computer only now it has screwed up the software that was previously used against it. As I said, I have to admire its learning ability. Oh yes, I also used "ccleaner" on it. No help. Anyway, I am out of amunition. And, I am getting tired of having to keep going back to repair man to erase files and start over once again.

Can any of you offer this broad any answers???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 17 July 2005 - 09:03 AM

Hi try downloading avast or avg from the web its free and give it a blast from that, if not then it might have to be killed off by a complete reinstall, oh before you down load them disable Norton i have found on computers i look after that its that that causes it, thats why i use one of the above.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 Press2Esc

Press2Esc

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 17 July 2005 - 10:36 PM

I have monitored this site for some time....and have used solutions provided to good advantage. But, each time I battle "About:Blank" and win, it adapts and is now playing a better chess game than me. I do have to admit I"m beginning to admire this little demon for its ability to morph - and learn from its prior weaknesses.

I am using windows SE, IE 6. Recently,I added foxfire, and was using it but stopped when it seemed slower than IE. I don't know how I continue to periodically pick up this nasty little hitchhiker but ,anyway, ITS BACK.

In the past, I have been able to eliminate this bug with Ad-awareSE software. Now, when I use it, it interferes with the "delete"action when I go from the "quarantine" to delete button to get rid of the mal-ware. Furthermore, I am also running Norton's Symantec which has protected me in the past. When I use it now to scan and list all the malware it does so....but now I click on the "anti-virus" section to update and use it for problem ...but it starts jumping up and down to prevent me clicking on it. So, this demon is again freezing up the operation of my computer only now it has screwed up the software that was previously used against it. As I said, I have to admire its learning ability. Oh yes, I also used "ccleaner" on it. No help. Anyway, I am out of amunition. And, I am getting tired of having to keep going back to repair man to erase files and start over once again.

Can any of you offer this broad any answers???

Goto Housecall.trendmicro.com, run a thorough a/v & spyware scan... Goto DOS, run MSCONFIG. Click Startup tab (top), compare each checked file against sysinfo.org database. :thumbsup:

Any Qs, let me know.

P2E

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 17 July 2005 - 10:40 PM

Does your infection look like this?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...topic=23759&hl=

It isn't going to go away with just a few scans... it is in a little deeper than that. Check out this post here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...s_Log-t956.html

#5 sallyb

sallyb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 18 July 2005 - 02:20 AM

Whew, trying to comprehend instructions and fix this computer is making me dizzy.

THE DON: I appreciate you trying to help but dont think your suggestions are the right tools. I did download that "avast" and ran a scan with it twice. It didnt find a single virus or malware....though I know I am eat up with them. So, I didnt try to use the other one. Think I should wait and let the appointed fixers of that Hijack this program lead me on this problem.

PRESS2ESC: Likewise I will wait before I try that homecall program...to see if others agree that it will do the job. Furthermore, I'm not sure I can follow your instructions to check one deal with sysinfo.org database????

GROVIOUS: With respect to using that Jijack this program....some months ago I did print out a"Hijact This Tutorial" (37 pages). So I am somewhat prepared to use this program. Also, some time ago I did download that program and have it on my desktop. When I click on it, it starts with a winzip sales pitch...but I guess I can use the free part of said program. Also, when I click on "properties" it says MSDOS name of Hijack this = Hijack1.zip . Is this the lastest version? Do I still need to "unzip" it to use it?

I guess the next step is to run that log. Am confused as to where to post said log -- on this board or elsewhere? Will wait for your further advice on how to proceed.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:02 AM

Post your log in here, and then you will have to be atient until someone is able to help you.

You will need to download the most recent version, which would be 1.99, and you can get it from here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/hijackthis_sfx.php

When you doubleclick on the .zip file, it will open winzip. You will see a "sales" screen at first, but you are correct, you can still use the program. It's been a while since I have used WinZip, but I did find a tutorial for you that should help you use it:
http://ois.unomaha.edu/casde/webshop/websh...UT/WINZIPOK.HTM

Extract HJT to your desktop, then run it. This tutorial will help you run HJT, and properly post the contents:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-post-a-hijackthis-log/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users