Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which program is best for me?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisMN

ChrisMN

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:06 PM

Hey there,

I have 73 days left on my current account with Symantec / Norton Internet Security 2009 and after dealing with a two week infection from "trojan.fakeavalert" that led to a ComboFix and 4 pages of trying to fix using numerous applications(being introduced to Malwarebytes, and SUPER AntiSpyware.. programs that I now use and reccomend every day.).

I know that there is no anti-virus and/or firewall service that guarantees 100%, and that many users may "fall thru the cracks " with their Security Suites. I do love Symantec and Norton AV/FW products for I am used to dealing with them since Norton Anti Virus 2001, and the newer Symantec products are extremely light on system resources.

However, I am open to the possibility of changing to another Security Suite when I need to reinstate in 73 days, so of the major brands I have seen(ie: Symantec Norton, Kaspersky, TrendMicro, McAfee, etc, etc) which one is in, everyones opinion their top choice?

Furthermore, what is Windows Defender, and Comodo?

Thanks for any response! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:12 PM

So has anyone here even heard of Norton? Kaspersky? TrendMicro? McAfee?

#3 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:29 PM

I used Kaspersky IS for a couple of years, was well satisfied, but switched to NIS 2009 in January after reading reviews and comparisons. This is after I vowed never to own another Symantec product just a few years ago. IMHO, NIS 2009 is the best out there right now. Easy to manage, low on resource use, doesn't bug you to death with notices, just does it's job. My daughter has McAfee on her laptop, it has done a good job but uses a lot of resource. I haven't tried Trend Micro, have heard mixed reactions on it.

Windows Defender is Microsoft's anti-spyware program, you can run it in real-time or just run scans when you desire. It should not be run real-time in conjunction with another anti-spyware program, NIS 2009 for example. Comodo offers a free firewall (maybe some other programs), I have heard good reviews on it, a lot of people are switching to it that used to use Zone Alarm.

#4 ComputerNutjob

ComputerNutjob

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:39 PM

I used to use Kaspersky, and I tell you, it's a good AV. I had an issue with it, though, and I had to switch to Avast. I reccomend using Avast if you're looking only for a good AV, for it has high detection rates, and its free. If you're looking for something other than avast but still has high detection rates, use Avira AntiVir, which is also free. If you're looking for something a little faster in scanning and is VERY VERY thorough, use F-Secure. Its not free, but I guarantee you, it is a VERY good AV. If you're looking for all round protection though, I recommend using Comodo Internet Security. The pro version has WiFi Security and LivePCSupport, but unless you have a lot of computer issues and connect to alot of public networks, I think you should be just fine with the free version. If you download it along with EasyVPN, for secure instant messaging and Anti Spam and Secure Email, then Comodo might be the best choice for you. CIS alone includes BOClean, An anti-trojan/rootkit/Spyware/keyloggers/adware/hijackers/ tool, Comodo Antivirus, and Comodo Firewall.

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:46 PM

A lot of folks here don't use paid security products.

#6 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:51 PM

Paid most of the time are the best. Look at Kaspersky products, they are the best.
Computer Pro

#7 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:22 PM

A lot of folks here don't use paid security products.

Seriously? Are free security products thourough enough? Especially for using LimeWire, or Shareaza (Dangerous P2P Networking)

For those folks who are using free security products, which ones are legit?

Furthermore, Kaspersky - Do they offer a full Suite of products? Such as Norton 360 or SystemWorks? (Does it include AV/AntiSpy/Adware/Firewall/etc?)

-Thanks!

#8 MrBoo

MrBoo

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:53 PM

My favorite is the full version of malwarebytes anti malware. The full MBAM version works great as an antivirus, the new IP block feature stops nearly all viruses before you have a chance to get them, and its regular real time protection is also really good. I have not had one infection on my computer ever since MBAM released ip protection (usually its not uncommon for me to get a virus). The scanner on MBAM is also probably the best ive seen, ive never had a virus that i couldnt get rid of (still sometimes have to add in manual deletion, but its still the best ive seen)

I also have the full version of Avira AntiVir which works good. The real time protection from the guard and webguard are really good, and the scanner has pretty high detection rates. I dont really care much about the scanner though because MBAM does it just as well.

But yeah, those are two paid ones. For free ones, i would suggest the free version of antivir. It comes with the scanner and real time protection, and has just as high detection rates as the full version. You need the full version of it for webguard and firewall though.

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:57 PM

Personally I think the free anti-virus applications are more than adequate. Why pay good money for something you can get for free?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 plasticpig72

plasticpig72

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:35 PM

I have been using avast for sometime now and have to say i like it- I have tried most and my top 3 would be kaspersky - nod32 and avast. I use outpost on all my computers alongside avast and can say both work well together.

#11 princess_sophia

princess_sophia

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:35 PM

I actually recommend 2 products that not many people know about but are very good.For an antivirus I reccomend GDATA, it's a little weird but it works really well,it uses 2 antivirus engines (bitdefender and avast) only thing it takes up a bit of cpu.I also recommend drivesentry, GREAT prevention but after 30 days you have to manually update it.I would also recommend spyware terminator.
Welcome to McMalwareCrushers! Would you like to try our ultimate destruction combo for the low low price of FREE?

Over 00000000 satisfied customers!

"If there's a will, there's a way, if not then there is always linux".
"You are never too old to be a kid again".

#12 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:42 PM

There is a big difference between trying to compute without knowingly seeking risk and questioning if free AV is good enough for "Dangerous P2P Networking". Also goes for paid. One person/computer have perhaps zero use of AV and another is doomed without. Usage determines need but with p2p it is not always enough to get the "best", still doomed :flowers: If you do it safely and have so for years then either you are lucky or have done it better than most. From the little I know of illegal software :thumbsup: I would say effective defense is a split between sofware and level of activity between ears on receiver. Being clickhappy and avoiding a minimum of research is not limited to normal surfing/installations. So if you imply there must be p2p safe AV you could be correct but always depend on user. Free or not is irrelevant.

I remember a dude crying and going POS over Kaspersky because he had gotten trojans from torrents - he felt let down since he had read reviews and so thought it was supposed to be among the best. Such a person is hopeless and cannot be helped. First infection was probably torrent containing Kaspersky! He will just reformat but attitude is not uncommon among normal users as well. Can be risky.

Edited by Bambo, 22 August 2009 - 04:45 PM.

#13 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:15 PM

There is a big difference between trying to compute without knowingly seeking risk and questioning if free AV is good enough for "Dangerous P2P Networking". Also goes for paid. One person/computer have perhaps zero use of AV and another is doomed without. Usage determines need but with p2p it is not always enough to get the "best", still doomed :flowers: If you do it safely and have so for years then either you are lucky or have done it better than most. From the little I know of illegal software :thumbsup: I would say effective defense is a split between sofware and level of activity between ears on receiver. Being clickhappy and avoiding a minimum of research is not limited to normal surfing/installations. So if you imply there must be p2p safe AV you could be correct but always depend on user. Free or not is irrelevant.

I remember a dude crying and going POS over Kaspersky because he had gotten trojans from torrents - he felt let down since he had read reviews and so thought it was supposed to be among the best. Such a person is hopeless and cannot be helped. First infection was probably torrent containing Kaspersky! He will just reformat but attitude is not uncommon among normal users as well. Can be risky.

Absolutely agree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users