Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I've decided to switch my antivirus...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerNutjob

ComputerNutjob

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:08 PM

I've decided to switch from avast to Comodo, but would it be okay to download Comodo and then uninstall Avast, or would they conflict? I don't want to leave myself vulnerable for a second. Also, does the internet security come with all of their individual products other than LivePCSupport and TrustConnect, or do I have to install secure email, verification engine, and anti spam and all that too?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,744 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:17 PM

I'd uninstall Avast first, just in case of a conflict. To protect yourself during the brief window where there will be no AV on your system, you could simply disconnect from the Internet. :thumbsup:

~Blade

Edited by Blade Zephon, 14 August 2009 - 10:18 PM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!

#3 ComputerNutjob

ComputerNutjob
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:35 PM

On second thought, I just looked up the detection rates. Screw it. Close the topic or something. Unless someone has anything else to try and sell me on the idea of switching.

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,744 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:45 PM

Avira has excellent rates, and is light on resources. Only downside is one ad a day when it updates. It's what I use. :thumbsup:

Avast is good too though. . . it's one of the three I recommend to clients.

~Blade

Edited by Blade Zephon, 14 August 2009 - 10:46 PM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!

#5 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:23 AM

CNj,

Go to gizmo's freeware. In there forum section security section and read the posts from Midnight Cowboy about CIS he's a big follower and sometime user and should be able to answer most questions you might have.

Dan

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:26 AM

When you download Comodo and try to install it, it should autodetect avast! installed and ask you to uninstall it.
In my opinion Avast! and Avira are better than Comodo.

#7 ComputerNutjob

ComputerNutjob
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:28 PM

Well, when you look at Comodo's products, altogether they seem better than Avast. One individual product, like only switching the AV, even though it may have lower detection rates, altogether, with Anti-Spam, Secure-Email,BOClean, Firewall, and EasyVPN, you must admit it would be better in SOME way than Avast.

#8 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:56 PM

CNj,

Go to gizmo's freeware. In there forum section security section and read the posts from Midnight Cowboy about CIS he's a big follower and sometime user and should be able to answer most questions you might have.

Dan

Or you could also go to the Best Free Antivirus review where Avast is rated second and Comodo AV isn't even mentioned.

#9 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:31 PM

What Someones said :thumbsup: .

#10 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:10 PM

I would never recomend someone try anything without getting as much information as possible to make an informed decision. As an Avast user myself I did not and could not recomend CIS to him. People need to investigate the options for themselves otherwise they will not learn. Whenever I recomend Avast to anyone I always tell them to at least go to the Avast site and read the manual, preferably they should download it to have and reference to when needed. People always complain about no scanning setup in the free edition which means they haven't read any bits of the manual. Do you know that Avast can be set as the screensaver? Everytime the saver activates Avast starts scanning and contiues until a scan is completed or interupted, or if you leave the comp on at all times it can be set to loop scan and scans until interupted.

Avast is definitly the best AV for me. I used 2 Norton products previously they had fair protection but were really system intense slowing everything down, Avast is just the opposite nice and light. I'm hoping when Avast 5 is released that there are none of the problems like AVG or Avira when they last updated there programs.

Dan

#11 ComputerNutjob

ComputerNutjob
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 06:07 PM

Alright, all being said, I think I'm going to stick with Avast, although I am going to install MBAM as an on-demand scanner just in case something particularly nasty gets into my computer.

#12 ComputerNutjob

ComputerNutjob
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:27 PM

Alright, MBAM is installed, I updated it and am currently running a quick scan.

Edited by ComputerNutjob, 16 August 2009 - 07:29 PM.

#13 MrBoo

MrBoo

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:20 PM

yeah, any antivirus + MBAM should take out pretty much any infection. I personally prefer avira antivir over avast, but they are both the best two free AVs IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users