Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Business Security

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:57 PM

What is all this buzz about ?

SSL Security and Extended Validation
Get the Green Address Bar

Short for Secure Socket Layer, SSL is a protocol developed by Netscape for transmitting private documents and transferring data encrypted, allowing information such as passwords or credit card information to be hidden.

OK the above sheds some light, . .

but why do they focus on, (below)

high profile brand

For businesses with a high profile brand, using Extended Validation SSL is an effective defense against phishing scams. Customers will learn to look for the green bar before entering sensitive information online

This is from;
http://www.verisign.com/ssl/ssl-informatio...670429760000002

The Green Address Bar and Extended Validation

When shoppers visit a Web site secured with an Extended Validation SSL Certificate, high-security browsers will trigger the address bar to turn green and display the name of the organization listed in the certificate as well as the certificate’s security vendor. The browser and the security vendor control the display, making it difficult for phishers and counterfeiters to hijack your brand and your customers.

I'm not sure I get it ?

How's that again, Anyone interested in commenting ?

P.S. I know I have a ways to go to understand how these cons do there dirty work, I'm not even sure what actual hijacking really is ?

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:20 AM

Have you ever noticed when you're on a secure site, there's a padlock in the address bar?
Also it's colored yellow and it's says https and not just http?

If you don't see it, you sure don't want to give any sensitive information
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users