Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Match Ram Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 14 August 2009 - 05:13 PM

Hello,

It finally has me up against a wall, While most are dealing with Gigabytes sizes for RAM, I just want to upgrade my single 256 MB to 512 MB, . . I am thinking about Staples, Office Depot, or Radio Shack, and would like to know, if they use there PC finder chart to match me up for a 256 stick, can I trust that it will be compatible with the Stick I am presently using ?

CUZ, . . .

Presently I have a Kingston Brand, 256MB SDRAM PC100/133, The last time I talked to Office Depot they told me, Kingston was phasing this out, . . and at my location they are a little lax ative about getting one for me and e-mailing me when they have it. I have been waiting a mandrakes life time for it.

So, whats your take ?

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:04 PM

I found this;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820136009

Will you recommend ?

What is Non ECC, I see this on some of the ad docs,

This is theirs
Kingston Technology Corp. KVR133X64C3/256

This is mine;
Kingston Technology Corp. KVR133Q/256R

Edited by Jove, 14 August 2009 - 09:07 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:54 PM

What is Non ECC,

From WikiAnswers; There are two types of memories when it comes to supporting ECC (error correction code/circuitry). These are ECC memory (memories which support ECC) and non-ECC (which do not support ECC). ECC helps detect and correct certain types of errors in memory transactions if they occur. ECC memories are a bit slow in performance as there is some time lost in detecting and correcting errors if they occur. Non-ECC memories are more common, faster and cheaper. ECC memories are recommended for servers and other mission critical applications. Most of system designs and circuits are robust and there are rarely any errors on a PC memory bus, so non-ECC memories are good enough for general computing applications. Most computer motherboards support both type of memories but still if one should check motherboard and BIOS specifications before investing in ECC memory type.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:34 PM

Don't worry about ECC as few consumer-level motherboards actually use it. Those that do may only support it with certain CPU's. Non-ECC RAM should be fine for your PC.

3939.png

#5 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:44 AM

Gentlemen, . .

Very well said, . . Thank you ever so, . . !

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users