Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help!....downloaded word viewer and now I can't edit my wordpad files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MattSLY

MattSLY

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:19 PM

I just downloaded Word Viewer 2003 in an effort to be able to view some microsoft works files on my desktop which does not have Microsoft works on it. I was told that when you use this in conjunction with open office you can view the files.

Anyway, Once I downloaded and installed word viewer 2003, it converted all my wordpad files into word viewer files which cannot be edited. All of these files are files which I wish to be able to edit. So how do I reverse the file change in order to make them editable as WordPad documents and not word viewer documents?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,780 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:29 PM

What you need to do is restore file associations. Ordinarily I would not send you 'offsite' but it seems time is of the essence and it's already been written quite nicely. See this: How to Restore File Associations in Windows XP

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 MattSLY

MattSLY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:53 PM

What you need to do is restore file associations. Ordinarily I would not send you 'offsite' but it seems time is of the essence and it's already been written quite nicely. See this: How to Restore File Associations in Windows XP

Thanks for posting this.

Fixed it like a charm.

Got any tips on how to open those .WPS files I have? I don't have microsoft works but I was looking for a free way to open them. The post I read about how to open them was on here and it didn't give instructions on how to use open office in conjunction with word viewer so you are able to view the .WPS files.

Edited by MattSLY, 14 August 2009 - 04:57 PM.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,780 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:22 PM

This MS Communities thread has what appears to be an answer to your remaining .wps issue: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsg...amp;m=1&p=1

Specifically, scroll down to the post by Jim Macklin dated 5/9/2005 6:05 PM PST.

Glad to hear your file associations issue was resolved.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users